PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Knoppix version

rozen
01-16-2005, 10:05 PM
My question: Is there a convenient way to upgrade Knoppix versions?

For instance, I want to move from 3.6 to 3.7 on my hd and I would like to avoid reformatting my disk and overwriting /etc. I have spent many hours configuring my system mainly with changes in /etc. Is there any way of avoiding having to do all that over again?

CrashedAgain
01-17-2005, 12:34 AM
Sorry to say, but no there is no easy way.

I have gone through 3.1, 3.2 3.3 & 3.4. I downloaded 3.6 but didn't think there was enough improvement over 3.4 to make it worth installing. I got to the point I had a 'procedure' worked out to quickly purge all the apps I didn't want, install the extra ones I did want, make some config changes, set up personal prefs colors etc. I wrote up a simple script to copy what I wanted to keep to a 'safe' location then copy it back after the new install. I also set up so I had a triple boot system (Windows, Linux (old) & Linux (new) so I could get the new install up & set up before abandoning the old. You might try something similar.

Or, you might just keep on with your old installation. If you have regularly updated the applications you want to keep up to date on, there maybe isn't going to be much difference (Other than newer versions of KDE, etc, the biggest change since 3.1 is the 2.6 kernel starting with 3.4). One of the advantages of a debian system is that you CAN keep updating so that a properly upgraded potato based system is pretty much equivalent to the current sarge.

For what it's worth, I'm currently using Kanotix BH9 which is now 'old', bhX is out but I have no intantion of upgrading to it. I switched to kanotix on the advice of several regular posters to this forum & (after some initial problems) found it is generally less 'buggy' than knoppix & should be upgradeable without as much chance of breaking it.

rozen
01-17-2005, 05:29 PM
Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I actually have a copy of Kanotix BH7. I think I will give that a try.javascript:emoticon(':D')

On another point, I am looking for a one CD system to turn an extra machine into a router/gateway/firewall for a dialup internet connection. Know any that you likejavascript:emoticon(':?:')