PDA

View Full Version : a couple questions... [involving: login prompts, xine, kde]

Siphter
01-17-2005, 10:16 AM
these questions may sound dumb, but I have only a few...

updating KDE, is it as easy as just downloading the newest version and running it as root?

for some reason when starting my comp. it just goes straight to my KDE desktop instead of a login prompt, anyway to fix this? (Knoppix 3.7 HD install) ... also anyway to make it so when i type 'su' it asks for a PW instead of just going into root? Only happens in a shell. If I run something like 'Kuser' under 'System' then it will ask for the password.

WMV, cant figure out how to play them with Xine... I have tried installing the mplayer codecs in the win32 folder, even changing the config. file to where the actual win32 file is ..still nada.

Thanks

phraitz
01-17-2005, 02:31 PM
to update kde just run a terminal an enter

su
"rootpw"
apt-get install kde

when u type su there is always asked for ur rootpassowrd, cuz ur getting root.

i actually dont know how to play *.wmv with xine but vlc does them play wihtout errors

to get vlc
just type as root

apt-cache search vlc

then u see a list of files comparing to vlc

just install vlc with

apt-get install vlc

but don't forget to make a

apt-get update

before u install anything(it updates your package lists)

Siphter
01-17-2005, 05:55 PM
thanks for the help.

'rootpw' is the only command that doesnt work, but thats ok i can find out what the command is (although I thought that only changes the password? I already have a password, I just need it to be typed when going into root (su).. because right now everyone can just get in)

also, I still need to know how to login as different users at some kind of login screen. Oh ya, in a shell im knoppix@whatever [knoppix]#
isnt there a way to change the knoppix@ part? IE: Siph@whatever [knoppix]#

i know, im a huge noob :oops:

phraitz
01-17-2005, 07:10 PM
my fault

rootpw isnt a command,that should only describe that u have to enter your rootpassword ;)

to login as a different user just creat another user account and log in

CrashedAgain
01-18-2005, 04:22 AM
these questions may sound dumb, but I have only a few...

updating KDE, is it as easy as just downloading the newest version and running it as root?

for some reason when starting my comp. it just goes straight to my KDE desktop instead of a login prompt, anyway to fix this? (Knoppix 3.7 HD install) ... also anyway to make it so when i type 'su' it asks for a PW instead of just going into root? Only happens in a shell. If I run something like 'Kuser' under 'System' then it will ask for the password.

WMV, cant figure out how to play them with Xine... I have tried installing the mplayer codecs in the win32 folder, even changing the config. file to where the actual win32 file is ..still nada.

Thanks

See this for information on upgrading applications: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14977

Applications go though 3 stages when being accepted into the Debian repository, unstable, testing & stable. To upgrade to the very newest version available, specify install from 'unstable': apt-get -t unstable install <package name>.

Use kpackage as a package browser to find out what packages are available.

Starting directly into kde is normal if you did anything other than a 'debian' style hdinstall. A 'knoppix' type install is just like from the cd..it starts as a single user system directly into kde. You can set user passwords with the command 'sudo passwd' (for root) or just 'passwd' (for user knoppix).

Don't know how to take away the passwordless su privilages that user knoppix has, someone else asked this recently & I don't think it got solved.

I have had no problmes with xine, all I can suggest is that you may have a volume control turned down, check kmix to be sure PCM, PC speaker & master are all turned up. Mplayer codecs should already be installed but to install them 'apt-get install w32codecs'. More information on xine: http://xinehq.de/index.php/faq

Siphter
01-18-2005, 06:30 AM
thanks for the help, both of you. :-D

Siphter
01-18-2005, 06:59 AM
argh lol, ok a new one: (how do i fix?)

Siphter@1[~]$ su
Siphter is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

and

Siphter@1[~]$ apt-get update
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the list directory

CrashedAgain
01-18-2005, 02:41 PM
argh lol, ok a new one: (how do i fix?)

Siphter@1[~]$ su
Siphter is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

and

Siphter@1[~]$ apt-get update
E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/apt/lists/lock - open (13 Permission denied)
E: Unable to lock the list directory
As root edit the file /etc/sudoers. There is a recent post here about ways to run an editor as root; check it out but the easiest way (needing no setup) is to type 'kdesu kate' in a console. Add a sudoers entry for user siphter similar to the ones which are there, see the manpage ("man sudoers") for more detailed info.

It just might be that the key to your other question (about passowrdless su from user knoppix) is in sudoers setup also.

Oh yes. There is a recent post here about settings up to start in kdm login instead of kde. search these forums for 'kdm' or 'login' or similar & you should find it.

fpd
12-26-2005, 01:38 AM
...WMV, cant figure out how to play them with Xine... I have tried installing the mplayer codecs in the win32 folder, even changing the config. file to where the actual win32 file is ..still nada...
Go here (read it first). Just figured it out:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16133