PDA

View Full Version : Is there a root password for Knoppix

papwilly
01-17-2005, 05:22 PM
i use Knoppix 3.3. i tried to install a package from red hat 9, by first converting it to debian package with alien but i was prompted for a root password when i finally tried to install. is there any such thing? also, whatever i typed at the prompt did not show. why?

phraitz
01-17-2005, 07:14 PM
if u run knoppix from cd the root passwords are globally disabled. if there is a promp,just type enter

rrfish72
01-18-2005, 04:35 AM
Actually you have to set to by doing su at konsole then when the root@blahblah comes up type: passwd. Then set it to what you want. It will say enter new unix password.

papwilly
01-19-2005, 06:00 PM
thanks.

paulrbarnard
01-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Actually you have to set to by doing su at konsole then when the root@blahblah comes up type: passwd. Then set it to what you want. It will say enter new unix password.

Just did a search before posting my problem and this is sort of where I'm at.

I booted Knoppix onto one computer then used koppix-terminal to PXA boot a laptop (no CD or Floppy). This all worked well but then I tried to execute the install scripts. This needsto be done as root. Here's the problem su doen't work I get the error 'sudo: must be setuid root'. Anyway I tried the root logon option from the knoppix menu and the terminal window just breifly flashes on the desktop. I can't sudoedit or change the permissions on /etc/sudoers I've tried the run as different user options using root with no password and it says invalid password. Basically I'm locked out! Any suggestions welcomed.

Knoppix 3.7
knoppix26