PDA

View Full Version : Installing / Saving things

Razorback
01-17-2005, 10:12 PM
I recently downloaded the "GamesKnoppix" variant of Knoppix and burned it to a CD. I definately like the idea of being able to carry around an entire OS on a single CD, but there seems to be no way of saving new programs or files from one boot to the next. Nor do any of your settings stay. I'm just wondering what you need to do to get Knoppix to save and read from your HD so I can install or save new programs and files as I wish.
The harddrive that came with my computer is split into two parions. The largest is a NTFS partion which is where all programs and files for windows go. The other is a much smaller FAT32 partion that seems to be some sort of recovery drive. From what I have read on these forums so far, Linux won't work with NTFS, which is the main part of my HD, and I don't want to mess with the recovery partion incase I need to use it some day. I guess what I'm trying to ask is what the easiest way is to have some place to permanently store files. I'm totally new to linux so I really don't know what I'm doing. I've also been told that sometimes partioning can be dangerous and mess up your hard drive. So what do I need to do to present the least risk of messing up my computer?