PDA

View Full Version : No Desktop

Guider
01-18-2005, 05:18 AM
I installed Knoppix to my harddrive, but I have no desktop and I can't click anything so, I can't do anything basically

During install I noticed that some files weren't copied, and some of the files had the word "desktop" in them, so I'm thinking I'm screwed

WHat happened?

edit: last night while I was sleeping I installed it from a shell.... I started up knoppix run mode 2, so it was just a shell, no graphics thinking that installing it like that there would be no I/O errors with the desktop files, but that didn't bloody work either

I could login, but when I logged in nothing happened.... it was just the background of what sholud be my beautiful desktop

Guider
01-18-2005, 04:15 PM
:( I have spent like 4 hours trying to sort this out now (Well ok, more like 6 but Shhh don't tell anybody)

Somebody Pllleaaaassssse help me, did I just have bad download?

Rumo
01-18-2005, 04:43 PM
did I just have bad download?

Probably not. Two things you can do:

1) New try: Boot knoppix (this time don't boot into mode 2) and install it on the hd using 'sudo knoppix-installer'

2) it shouldn't be a problem to install an X-Server and KDE (or whatever windowmanager you like). If you have a fast internet connection you can use 'apt-get install xfree86-common'. If you want to install kde then type 'apt-get install kdebase' (probably this will also install xfree86-common if it is not already installed as it depends on X11).

Guider
01-18-2005, 04:53 PM
did I just have bad download?

Probably not. Two things you can do:

1) New try: Boot knoppix (this time don't boot into mode 2) and install it on the hd using 'sudo knoppix-installer'

2) it shouldn't be a problem to install an X-Server and KDE (or whatever windowmanager you like). If you have a fast internet connection you can use 'apt-get install xfree86-common'. If you want to install kde then type 'apt-get install kdebase' (probably this will also install xfree86-common if it is not already installed as it depends on X11).

I install it like that, using sudo knoppix-installer, but some files I still get IO/errors

Do you have AIM or YIM something? because everytime I post here it takes years to get a reply, and even longer for ME to reply

Anyway...... When I installed it, I booted it up and I got to the graphical part but there was no desktop so I restarted it..... at lilo I typed something like "Linux(2.4)-1 desktop=fluxbox" and it just went to a bash shell as root and I typed "startx" and I got a LOT of crap come up.... it couldn't start it basically, with reocurring errors

And, this laptop with the knoppix on isn't on the internet so..... yea

Rumo
01-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Anyway...... When I installed it, I booted it up and I got to the graphical part but there was no desktop so I restarted it.....

So you have an X-Server installed but it fails to start?

at lilo I typed something like "Linux(2.4)-1 desktop=fluxbox"

I don't think Lilo can handle this kind of commands. This will only work for the knoppix-CD (somebody please correct me if I'm wrong).

There are several other ways to start the X-Server. You can try to use 'init 5' as root - perhaps this will work. Or you can try kdm or xdm (these commands will hopefully bring you to a graphical login screen).

Hmm, really strange. Perhaps eventually there is something wrong with your Knoppix-CD. Have you checked the md5sum of your iso-image? (type md5sum 'file' and compare it to the md5sum in the ftp-directory of your favorite knoppix-server).

Actually I have ICQ. But I don't think I can help you very much, because I'm pretty new to knoppix myself and also english isn't my native language. Perhaps someone else can help you?

Guider
01-18-2005, 06:51 PM
I just formatted and deleted everything, so I have a blank hard drive..... I'm installing KNoppix to the hard drive now, and this time the I/O errors (At the moment anyway, it's only at 74%) are just for a game called Enigma, so I won't be able to play that if it works..... but the I/O errors for the desktop come after that install.... We'll see what happens

The IO errors are always for different things, it's bloody annoying the hell out of me now

who can suggest a one disk/ISO Linux that I could use? I want to have development tools like C/C++ and stuff, and an apache server, shells so I can run commands from my laptop down here and things, just hte basic stuff

OErjan
01-18-2005, 09:33 PM
either this was a bad download (you DID check the md5sum right) or a disk burned at to high speed )i would recomend 2-6X MAX).
hmm, come to think of it. some CD manufacturers seem to have had trouble currently with quality controll (fujifilm have given me many bad burns on all tree burners last batch).
perhaps even the nodma cheatcode might work.