PDA

View Full Version : Does Knoppix support file transfers through a network? L00k&

Officer_Dufus
01-18-2005, 05:24 AM
Hi! I am a new user. I am having some problems with a computer.....so I was told to use Knoppix. The issue is that I cannot get to a desktop of a computer and the only alternative to fixing is reisntalling Windows.

Again, I was told to use Knoppix (I just downloaded version 3.7 and put the Image on a CD) so I could get to the desktop of this PC and access the files.

I know Knoppix allows for Internet access, but does Knoppix allow for sending files over a network to another computer that is on the same router?

There are some important files on this computer that cannot be lost. Although I wasn't planning on doing a drive format to install Windows XP again I wanted to be safer and backup these files on another computer.

The only way I could do it would be over the network since I don't have any USB drives.......and I really can't take out the harddrive and attach it to the laptop because a laptop isn't made the same as a desktop (in terms of the "guts")

So please let me know. If for some reason Knoppix does not allow for file transfers through a network, is there some other alternative to back up these files?

Lastly, I just thought of this alternative, does Knoppix have it's own CD burner? I suppose I could burn the files onto multiple CD's for backups if I couldn't use the network to transfer the files.......

Thank you and have a great week! :D

Markus
01-18-2005, 07:51 AM
Knoppix allows file transfers just fine, for rescuing files have a look here: http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

You can burn CD's with k3b somewhere under the K-menu but you need two cd-drives (one for knoppix and one for burning) or 1 GB RAM to use the "toram" cheatcode.

Harry Kuhman
01-18-2005, 08:50 AM
Hi! I am a new user. I am having some problems with a computer.....so I was told to use Knoppix. The issue is that I cannot get to a desktop of a computer and the only alternative to fixing is reisntalling Windows.
HI. Not sure what you mean by "get to a desktop". Can you boot Knoppix OK? If you are expecting to see the same "desktop" that you see with Windows, no, you are not going to see that. But you can move around the directory structure and find the desktop folder (or the multiple desktop folders that make up an Xp desktop).

Again, I was told to use Knoppix (I just downloaded version 3.7 and put the Image on a CD) so I could get to the desktop of this PC and access the files.
I hope you understand how to burn an iso file properly. If not it is discussed in many other threads inthis forum. For now I'll assume that Knoppix is booting for you.

I know Knoppix allows for Internet access, but does Knoppix allow for sending files over a network to another computer that is on the same router?
Absolutely. There are many ways to do this. One is to boot Knoppix, start the Smaba Server (Samba Network Neighboorhood), and just transfer the files to a windows system where you have creater a directory(folder) with full read/write access.

There are some important files on this computer that cannot be lost. Although I wasn't planning on doing a drive format to install Windows XP again I wanted to be safer and backup these files on another computer.
Actually, if they were important you would have backups of them. But that's a different issue. If they are still out there and the partition is OK, Knoppix should be able to help you rescue them. There are other ways to recover them if the partition is corrupt or deleted, also discussed in other posts in this forum. It might help too if we knew what happened on this system. Why can you not read the files with Windows? (It's not Knoppix's fault if it can't recover the files if the drive no longer spins, for example.)

The only way I could do it would be over the network since I don't have any USB drives.......and I really can't take out the harddrive and attach it to the laptop because a laptop isn't made the same as a desktop (in terms of the "guts")
Again, the networking support is there.

So please let me know. If for some reason Knoppix does not allow for file transfers through a network, is there some other alternative to back up these files?
It does, but there are other alternatives. In addition to USB drives (and floppies) you could transfer the data to some place on the Internet (such as yousendit.com) and pick it up anywhere else. You mightt be able to burn a CD or DVD. I guess you could print it out on paper and OCR it back in. But local networking is likely your best bet.

Lastly, I just thought of this alternative, does Knoppix have it's own CD burner? I suppose I could burn the files onto multiple CD's for backups if I couldn't use the network to transfer the files.......
Yea, knoppix has CD burning software. But unless you have multiple drives or a gig or more of memory, then you'll need to leave the CD in the drive while running Knoppix, so that might not work for you. But there are other Live Linux CD's such as Damn Small Linux that are small enough (50 meg) to load to RAM, or even burn to CD and leave the bullk of the CD available to write files to as a second session (and yes, Damn Small Linux has a burning program in it too).

Officer_Dufus
01-18-2005, 10:39 PM
Hi there. Remember, this isn't my computer that has the problem. My own personal computer has a gig of ram....but my dad's computer (the one I will be working on) does not. He does have 2 drives though, so that would work out perfectly for burning a CD with the files. But since you tell me it does have a networking option, I'd much rather transfer files to another computer over the network because it would be much nicer.

I burned the image onto a CD properly. I am not expecting to see the Windows desktop come on, but right now I cannot even access the Windows Desktop. That is why I am going to use Knoppix, so I can access the files. I know what Knoppix looks like because I have seen screenshots. I have not used it in the past though.

Also, I haven't tried using Knoppix to fix my dad's desktop problem, but as soon as I get a chance to I will let you know the result.

Thank you for your quick replies and all of the information provided! :D

Officer_Dufus
01-18-2005, 11:23 PM
Hello! I just tried Knoppix 3.7 on my own computer. Works correctly. I'll let you know what happens when I use it on my dad's computer, though.

Ok, you told me NETWORKING can be accomplished through the SAMBA NETWORK NEIGHBORGOOD. Where can this be found in Knoppix?

Also, where can the CD-Burning Software in Knoppix be found?

Those are my final questions, since you answered the rest :D Thanks! :P

Rumo
01-18-2005, 11:32 PM
The easiest way is to use konqueror. Just type 'smb://' in the adress-bar of the browser (or 'smb://computername' if you know already the computer you'd like to connect to).

This will of course only work if samba is running (which probably is the case).

Officer_Dufus
01-18-2005, 11:42 PM
How can you start the Samba networking, or tell if it is already running?

Also, again, if anyone knows where to start the CD burnner in Knoppix, pleae reply

Harry Kuhman
01-18-2005, 11:56 PM
Hi there. Remember, this isn't my computer that has the problem. My own personal computer has a gig of ram....but my dad's computer (the one I will be working on) does not. ...
Remember? This was your first post, at least under this name, and you never mentioned this. It does not matter or affect anything though.

Ok, you told me NETWORKING can be accomplished through the SAMBA NETWORK NEIGHBORGOOD. Where can this be found in Knoppix?
It's all right in the menu. In this case click the K on the bottom left of the screen then Knoppix-> Utilities'>Samba Network Neighborhood.

Also, where can the CD-Burning Software in Knoppix be found?
Again, no need to prove your nickname, just use the menu: Multimedia->b3 (CD and DVD burning) is one choice.

Harry Kuhman
01-19-2005, 12:07 AM
The easiest way is to use konqueror. Just type 'smb://' in the adress-bar of the browser (or 'smb://computername' if you know already the computer you'd like to connect to).

This will of course only work if samba is running (which probably is the case).
I just tried this. smb:// does not work for me from a fresh boot of Knoppix 3.7 (and using the default 2.4 kernel) from CD. It just seems to get discarded. But smb://ValidComputerName does seem to work.

Officer_Dufus
01-19-2005, 12:32 AM
Ok thanks.

I don't have Knoppix open in front of me so I didn't look that long....had other things to do.

I use Windows on my PC's so would have no need to go into Knoppix on a working computer.

1000thLinuxNoob
01-19-2005, 12:39 AM
Not to let this thread die -

As far as I can tell, I have my LAN setup correctly (it's using a router, and I can see the knoppix pc in the DHCP list, access the router from the knoppix, etc) but smb://[computername]/[sharename] doesn't seem to be working. I've gone to the Knoppix->services->Start Samba server, so that should be running.

And of course, as my name implies, I'm openly noobish about this.

EDIT: I guess I never asked a question :)

Anyone know why I should be able to be on the router and yet not see either computer's shares? Unfortunately ping is broken on my windows pc (transmit error code 65, whatever that means) and I don't know the equivalent command for knoppix, so I can't check that.

Officer_Dufus
01-19-2005, 12:46 AM
Well then if that doesn't work I'll just burn a few CD's to backup the material.

As mentioned before, you say that I'd make copies if this material was any importance to me. Problem is, it's my dad's computer and what he backs up is his own decision.

Harry Kuhman
01-19-2005, 06:36 AM
EDIT: I guess I never asked a question :)

Anyone know why I should be able to be on the router and yet not see either computer's shares? Unfortunately ping is broken on my windows pc (transmit error code 65, whatever that means) and I don't know the equivalent command for knoppix, so I can't check that.
you're gonna love this. The equivalent command for knoppix to ping is ping.

You may have firewall issues if you can't ping to or from windows. Try pinging your router from Knoppix. When that works, try pinging Windows. Then fix Windows until ping works.

rcook
01-19-2005, 05:33 PM
I have done this on my boxes and for a friend about a week ago.

Boot Knoppix on the bad box, using knoppix 2 which forces command line.

enter sambastart as a single command and then establish a password for knoppix and mount all drives r/w.

For simplicity sake set your workgroup to WORKGROUP on the windows machines. This is easier than changing the samba configuration.
On a new XP machine, the default workgroup is MSHOME if my memory is correct.

You will find the drives available on KnoppixShare or some such from windows computers on the network.

Since you are reaching out, this avoids the firewall problems on the windows machines. Mine XP notebook is recalcitant on shares even coming in or attempting to, from an operating W2K system

Officer_Dufus
01-20-2005, 02:11 PM
Knoppix 3.7 was really fine! It totally transferred the files to another computer, and then I was able to format the "bad" comp's HD and reinstall Windows XP.

THANKS KNOPPIX!!!!!!! :D

1000thLinuxNoob
01-22-2005, 02:43 AM
Hehe, I similarly had a suddon revelation - instead of the various esoteric things, I just tried putting in ///[computername]/[sharename] into konqueror as soon as I had booted up, and wouldn't you know it worked perfectly :) Never did find out what I was doing wrong.

Thanks for taking the time to respond though rcook!

Officer_Dufus
01-22-2005, 09:21 AM
You don't use Knoppix as your primary operating system, do you?

1000thLinuxNoob
01-23-2005, 01:45 AM
No, I primarily use Win XP. We have some software at work which is win-only, so I'm afraid it's not practical (yeah, wine, I know, but they said no :D ).

Officer_Dufus
01-23-2005, 02:14 AM
So basically you are saying you use Knoppix for repairing an Operating system or something like that?

I love Knoppix so much, though, for how helpful it has been.

1000thLinuxNoob
01-24-2005, 02:00 AM
At the moment yes I use it primarily for that - though I must admit the relative simplicity and straightforwardness of KDE has perked my interest, and I'd been kind of sick with Windows on my home computer at least... :)