PDA

View Full Version : Networking Knoppix and Mac OS 10.2.4 PLEASE help

silicosick
04-03-2003, 07:08 AM
total linux newbie

they are both based on Unix .. there has to be a way to get them to see each other on my little LAN I have here. Either the Knoppix box seeing the Mac .. or the Mac seeing the Knoppix Box .. im not picky

ANY help would be great

thanx

Danyel
04-03-2003, 12:24 PM
NFS will do what you want. "man exports" on either box to understand how to setup your file system exports in "/etc/exports" and then exportfs -a to activate the new file shares on OS X. You may have to start NFS sharing on Knoppix manually by running "/etc/init.d/nfs start" from the root terminal before running the "exportfs -a" command to export(share) all the shares listed in "/etc/exports". To mount an NFS share the basic syntax is "mount -t nfs -o rw,noatime,user,noauto hostname:/path/to/share /mount/point". The basic syntax for an export in "/etc/exports" is "/path/to/share 192.168.0.0/16(rw,no_root_squash,insecure)"[/b]

silicosick
04-03-2003, 11:33 PM
uhhh

huh huh uhhh huh huh

uhhhhhhh

what part of "newbie" do you not get ?

;)

kidding .. thanx for the info .. but im totally not ready for all that yet ..

I just wanna click on the Knoppix version of "Network Neighborhood" and click on my Mac when it shows up and login .. is that too much to ask ?

..it sounds like it is

Danyel
04-04-2003, 02:16 PM
You can use the following URL if you are running sshd on your mac "sftp://macip/path/to/knoppix/user/readable/directory" in kde's konqueror Location bar. You can also use sftp on the command line.

But it sounds like what you want to do is create your shares with SWAT the web front end to Samba on Knoppix then start samba ("/etc/init.d/samba start" in the root console). On Mac OS X you may be able to create shares that are accesible to Windows machines from the front end. If not, you can always install samba on Mac OS X. There are packages that work with the installer on Mac OS X available on the internet. Just search on Google. Mac OS X lets you browse SMB shares. You can use smb://hostname/sharename/path in Konqueror on the Knoppix side.

For a quick and dirty read-only share method. Do a web share on the Mac OS X side. You can do a web share on the Knoppix side by right clicking on a directory and bringing up the properties dialog and going to the sharing tab and selecting share.

Danyel
04-04-2003, 02:21 PM
You may want to see what lan:/ shows you when you type it in knoqueror to see what shows up. I haven't had much success using the lan:/ URL though even though I run SLP and lisa and reslisa and have them correctly configured. Although the slp stuff makes network printing from linux using cups a zero configuration nobrainer to print to any printer on the network. The printers just show up.

Dave_Bechtel
04-04-2003, 08:48 PM
--You'll **have** to get used to the command line if you want to do things in Linux. Knoppix is about as safe as they come - don't be afraid to type things in and experiment!

uhhh

huh huh uhhh huh huh

uhhhhhhh

what part of "newbie" do you not get ?

;)

kidding .. thanx for the info .. but im totally not ready for all that yet ..

I just wanna click on the Knoppix version of "Network Neighborhood" and click on my Mac when it shows up and login .. is that too much to ask ?

..it sounds like it is