PDA

View Full Version : Desktop

jr0d82
01-18-2005, 04:26 PM
I was screwing around with a Knoppix HD installation on my PC, and i changed the desktop, now it only boots up in text mode, how can i get it to boot back into KDE?

Guider
01-18-2005, 04:41 PM
I'm new to this but, when yo'ure at text mode type....

startx

And it should go to graphical mode (i think)
worth a try

jr0d82
01-18-2005, 05:23 PM
i received errors when i did that, reguardless of whether i was Root user or not. error is as follows:
fatal server error
no screens found

XIO: fatal IO erro 1104 connection reset by peer.

Rumo
01-18-2005, 05:45 PM
Try 'init 5' or 'kdm' as root.

If this doesn't work your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 is probably broken.

jr0d82
01-18-2005, 06:11 PM
when i use kdm the screen goes blank and then comes back to a command line again, same when i do init 5.
heres what i did originally, i was in KDE, and i selected the menu option to "change/configure desktop environment" or window manager, something to that effect, well, i changed it and restarted i cant remember what i set it to, but when i boot up, it just comes to a login in text mode.

Rumo
01-18-2005, 06:32 PM
I have two more ideas:

1) In '/etc/inittab' should be a line saying something like (I'm currently at a SuSE-Linux system):

# The default runlevel is defined here
id:5:initdefault:

Check if this is set to runlevel 5.

2) In your homedirectory should be a file named '.xinitrc' or '.xsession' (it depends on the distro which file is used). It should contain the following line:

exec startkde

But I'm not really sure if this will work. What does your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 "Device" Section say?

mountain_muller
01-19-2005, 12:14 PM
I probably can't help, I'm rather new to linux and very new to debian

Are you getting a graphical login screen that won't login?

I had a problem where the (default) login option (desktop/windowManager choice)
wouldn't work, It just flickered straight back to the login screen, yet I could start a session textwise.
Also 'startX' 'kdm' ,would not work for me - errors, or the flicker.
However, when I changed the default choice, to any of the WindowManagers, it would login perfect!
I havn't looked to see where/what the problem is, I just make sure that the WM is set to kde3 and all is graphic!
As I said, hope it helps, it sounds as though you arn't even getting a graphic login.

have a nice day

:o :D :lol: