PDA

View Full Version : Small Problems upon Finish - Missing menus!

eddieroger
01-18-2005, 11:02 PM
I'm not a newbie to Linux by any means and I know my way around a command shell with ease, but I'm having some trouble remastering my CD. This is my first time doing this activity, and I must say its been kinda fun in a geeky way. Anyway, I need some help with the following two small (probably) problems. Before I get ahead of myself, let me say that all help is appreciated in advance. Also, some info on what I'm doing.

I am trying to remaster Knoppix-STD (a particular distro for security tools) which is basically the exact same as Knoppix with the addition of specific tools for network security, forensics and system maintenance. It uses, and so do I, Fluxbox instead of KDE. Its just smaller and faster, so I will use it too.

1) My menu settings for Fluxbox are not coming through the burn. The file is correct in /etc/skel/.fluxbox and the permissions are root:root. I never messed with these until I realized that they weren't working, and then never changed a permission or anything, so it should be identical from the distro CD. Am I missing something here??

2) I tried to use apt-get to install Firefox, but it fails. I'm doing the install from a command line withing SuSE 9.2 (which could be the problem), but it fails with an error regarding --configure in the script.

I only have these two problems, which drives me crazy because everything else, down to the actual burn, works! Please help where you can. I appreciate it.

Eddie

raj1478
01-19-2005, 09:17 AM
1) My menu settings for Fluxbox are not coming through the burn. The file is correct in /etc/skel/.fluxbox and the permissions are root:root. I never messed with these until I realized that they weren't working, and then never changed a permission or anything, so it should be identical from the distro CD. Am I missing something here??
Eddie
Please follow the discussion under the HOWTO of remastering knoppix with menu based scripts.

eddieroger
01-19-2005, 05:16 PM
I have read up on the scripts, and just started my whole remaster over specifically to use the scripts, even though part of me feels like its cheating, but whatever. The problem is I get an error when trying to load the CD from the scripts. It gives me a read error no matter which disc I use. Its the same error as I get when trying to load with the option "toram". It boots just fine from the disc, and in fact the disc is a new burn of the original ISO. Any suggesetions?

raj1478
01-22-2005, 09:01 AM
I have read up on the scripts, and just started my whole remaster over specifically to use the scripts, even though part of me feels like its cheating, but whatever. The problem is I get an error when trying to load the CD from the scripts. It gives me a read error no matter which disc I use. Its the same error as I get when trying to load with the option "toram". It boots just fine from the disc, and in fact the disc is a new burn of the original ISO. Any suggesetions?

Have you tried to copy the files manually using the commands given in the orginal customization FAQ at the knoppix.net site?

Try them. I've customized my knoppix version entirly using the contents of that orginal FAQ.