PDA

View Full Version : Just want a file off of the hd

iceman46
01-20-2005, 01:56 AM
Ok, I am a total noob. I want a file off of a linux hd. Mouse does not work and if I try to load anything other than failsafe puter freezes. If someone could just tell me how to connect to the web so I can send this file to myself with yousendit.com I will be finished for now. Have tried to copy the file to a fat 32 part on the puters other hd and can't figure out how to make the hd writeable. Using the Alt key, tab, and arrow keys I can move around enough to sort of figure it out with a little help. Thanks in advance. I am running Knoppix off of the only cd drive on the puter. No floppys. Normally run xp home if this helps.

pureone
01-20-2005, 02:50 AM
i think it may be easyer for you to move around in text based. im not 100% sure what the boot code would be but something like
knoppix 2 Runlevel 2 once its booted up presuming you have a floppy drive
cd /mnt/ go to that folder then
ls list files guessing that its your c:\ that you want to get into type
mount /mnt/hda1/ but you can change this depending on your situation.
cd /mnt/hda1/whateverfolder/thefiles/ then
ls list all files again im not sure but i belive you have to
mount /mnt/floppy before you can copy files to it make sure you do that anyway. once you have mounted floppy and found the file you want just
cp /mnt/hda1/whateverfolder\whateverfile.exe /mnt/floppy and thats all you should need.

if you do not have a floppy drive you have another option still mount the /mnt/hda1 or what ever partition your trying to get the file from and just type
lynx this is a text based browser you will be able to go to the website of your choice and upload the file with that,

iceman46
01-23-2005, 07:10 PM
Pureone,
Tried the suggestion didn't work. When I try to use anything except failsafe puter locks up. So here is my solution just need the step by step on how to do it.

boot "failsafe"

change Fat32 part on hard drive so it is writeable <this is where I need the step by step, remember mouse does not work>

copy file from linux hd to Fat32 part on windows hd.

If someone could walk me through the steps to make my fat 32 part writeable using alt key/arrow keys I think I can get this accomplished.