PDA

View Full Version : Installing to harddrive...how large a partition?

crapszwei
01-20-2005, 03:45 PM
I'm wanting to install Knoppix to my harddrive (of course), and I'm seeing some conflicting information in various sources on the internet as to how large of a partition I should give it.
Two days ago, I had only Windows 98se on my computer, and I had downloaded and burned the DamnSmallLinux (just a stripped down knoppix, right?) ISO to a CD. That worked well, and it made me want more (i.e. Knoppix). I actually decided it would be better to have Linux installed right to my harddrive, rather than mess with backing up settings and data from the Live CD. So, I actually went and got FIPS, and successfully partitioned my harddrive into 1 partition of 3.75gb (for windows, this leaves me with about 500mb free for windows), and 1gb for Linux. I actually installed DamnSmallLinux to my second partition, and they both boot and work fine.
I will be getting a Knoppix LiveCD delivered to me shortly, and I want to just get rid of DamnSmall, and replace with Knoppix (I really like the KDE!).
I realize that I will need a swap partition for it, and since I have 160mb of ram, and I need to be space-concious, I was thinking 256mb for it.
I could either take yet another chunk out of my Windows partition, or split down my linux partition to 768 for the boot, and 256mb for the swap.

My main question is, how much space is required to install just the basics of Knoppix, KDE, and probably a couple of apps (especially the compiler)?
Could I fit it on 768mb? Or would I have to give it a whole GB?
I've read some guides that say you need 2.9gb to install it, but some that say less (I assume they're using different versions). I also got a reply on a message board that you can select what you want to install...but then somebody told me I couldn't! It's very hard to know! :roll:

Anyway, thank you for any help!

UnderScore
01-20-2005, 04:20 PM
There is no minmal or user customizable Knoppix install. There is only one type of Knoppix install and it is full. You will need at least 2.2GB, or 3GB total (root partition + swap) of space to be safe. Once it is installed you can easily reduce the amount of space it takes up by remove programs that you don't need or want.
If I am wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.
I hope this helps.
James

tdjokic
01-21-2005, 02:47 AM
I also got a reply on a message board that you can select what you want to install...
This is true for "normal" distribution, with more CD-s and so on: Mandrake, SUSE, Fedora... Knoppix is another story, this is a 'take it or leave it' approach, everything is in one "package". James is right.