PDA

View Full Version : How to compile

gamezealot
01-20-2005, 08:08 PM
I'm new to linux, and just trying to learn the basic stuff.... I'm trying to add some screensavers, and i went to download this screensaver package

http://www.linuxhotbox.com/fun/Linux%20screensavers%201.htm

the "Really Slick Screensaver" Package

I download it and it gives me a vague readme

I run the configure script and it runs through a bunch of crap then I'm guessing I need to make the installation then install??? But when i tried to open/run the MakeFile.in from terminal it kept giving me permissions denied errors, I was logged in as root.... Am I doing anythign wrong? Cna somebody help me out here... I feel like a retard....

paulrbarnard
01-20-2005, 08:15 PM
Sounds like you are trying to execute the makefile.in file. You might have missed a step. Usual sequence is along the lines
config
make
make install

you might have missed out make. Probably only the make install needs to be executed as root

I haven't looked at the package so this is a guess but might help. have fun

gamezealot
01-20-2005, 08:25 PM
Yea it is config, make, make install

but how the eff do I make? lol, sorry for such a newb question.... but im completely clueless at this point.... i did config, but dont know how to run the make command

paulrbarnard
01-20-2005, 08:30 PM
just type make. Oh and hit the enter key :) Make will look in the current directory for makefile.in, so if config has doen it's job it will spring into action.

gamezealot
01-20-2005, 08:31 PM
wow, thats easy?! i feel like a friggin dumbass..... so i just get configure running.... then once it finishes, just type make.... nothing else? and itll run? AWESOME

paulrbarnard
01-20-2005, 08:41 PM
That's the theory :) Of course the programmer may have decide to add a thousand options to be passed to Make and you'll spend the rest of the night fighting with it.

Good luck.

Don't forget to su to root for the 'make install'

gamezealot
01-20-2005, 08:54 PM
awesome, thanks for the help.... ill try it once i get home