PDA

View Full Version : Custom Install Knoppix 3.7

hal8000
01-21-2005, 01:35 PM
I have installed Knoppix 3.7 by booting from the CD and using knoppix-installer. However this has
installed everything in / as ext3 and the locale is in german. I have changed kde to english
but I would lreally like to create / on /dev/hda11 and /home on /dev/hda12 both as Reiser FS.

Is there a way to do this or could someone point me to further documentation? Thanks in advance.
Does knoppix support Reiser? I'm sure it does just wonder why ext3 was chosen.

Rumo
01-21-2005, 02:17 PM
The knoppix-installer reads a file called .config (or something like that) from your /home/knoppix directory. You can modify this file to your needs (changing filesystem and partitions should be pretty easy).

The installer will tell you the configuration it uses just before knoppix is finally copied to your harddisk.

CrashedAgain
01-21-2005, 08:18 PM
You can change the language in your installation to english by adding 'lang=us' to the 'append=' line in /etc/lilo.conf then re-run lilo to implement the changes.
You can add your /hda11 & /hda12 partitions by first creating & formating the partitions with qtparted, then edit /etc/fstab to add the partitions. There is apost about this topic on the Kanotix forum: http://kanotix.mipooh.net/viewforum.php?f=29&sid=60b05cd9df59bca260823caf88dae7b6
ext3 is a journalized version of the ext2 linux file system format; it is what Knoppix uses as a file format for HD installation. Kanotix uses Reiser, I'm not sure if there are any significant advantages to one over the other.

Rumo
01-21-2005, 08:39 PM
I'm not sure if there are any significant advantages to one over the other.

Some people say that ReiserFS is a little bit faster than ext3 - but the chance of losing data is said to be higher, too. ReiserFS is definitly the younger FS - it has improved a lot from it's early beginnings, so it probably is an alternative to ext3 (otherwise distributions like SuSE wouldn't use it). However when it comes to the safety of my data I'm very conservative - so I'm prefering ext3.