PDA

View Full Version : Mandrake, XP, Knoppix and GRUB configuration

Dieselboy
01-22-2005, 12:34 PM
Hello,
Before posting i read the FAQ's and searched the forums but i was unable to find the information on this topic.
I have installed Windows XP and Mandrake Linux 10.1 on my PC. I am using GRUB as boot loader, since i had a few problems using LILO and NTFS.
I've downloaded knoppix 3.7 Live CD and booted it from CD. Everything worked fine and i want to install knoppix and use GRUB to boot it along the other OS'.
I have the following plan:
I create a 1GB partition ext3 for knoppix cd and 256 MB partition swap for swap.
Next, I start knoppix from the CD using the cheatcode "tohd=/dev/hdeX" to copy knoppix to the HD.
Later i boot from the knoppix CD and type "fromhd=/dev/hdeX". It boots fine and i make the persistent homedir via the knoppix menu.

On this stage of the installation, does knoppix write to the MBR?

Then i add the following lines to grub.conf under Mandrake:

title Knoppix
root (hd1,0)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.6 root=/dev/hdb1 ro ramdisk_size=100000 lang=us apm=power-off hda=scsi hdb=scsi hdc=scsi hdd=scsi hde=scsi hdf=scsi hdg=scsi hdh=scsi nomce vga=791
initrd=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.6

And theoretically when i start the PC GRUB will let me choose to boot between WinXP, Mandrake and Knoppix.

My system configuration is:
Pentium III Katmai @ 500 Mhz, MB: ABIT B6-II with HPT370 Raid controller (works fine), HDD: 160 GB Seagate, LAN Card, Video Card: Diamond Viper V770 (Riva TNT2); TV Card(Pixelview PlayTV Pak). All of them work fine on mandrake 10.1 (kernel 2.6.x) and i've tested them with knoppix live cd.

Is this procedure correct? Is there a better way to install knoppix without any chance of damaging the other OS'?

Thanks in advance,
Dieselboy

ruymbeke
01-23-2005, 09:34 AM
Hello, ... Is there a better way to install knoppix without any chance of damaging the other OS'? ...Dieselboy
Maybe... Look at this: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796
You can boot from the iso being on an other partition (ntfs,fat,ext) using grub.
Gilles