PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.7 tohd error

lester
01-22-2005, 05:03 PM
I have Knoppix 3.7. I recently installed a second hard drive on IDE channel 0 set as slave. Before hard drive install Knoppix worked fine and the hdd icon was on the KDE. After second hdd install Knoppix does not show hdd icons on KDE. I also tried to copy tohd=/dev/hda1 and when knoppix tries to copy I get the message /dev/hda1 is not mountable.

some sytem info;
IDE 0=C and D drives windows98 FAT32
IDE 1=CDrom

Knoppix worked fine with one hdd and was able to copy to hda1.

eon
01-25-2005, 03:03 PM
Do "dmesg" at a terminal and see if the drive shows up during booting, and if there is any other info there about
the slave drive.

Is the drive recognized in win?

lester
01-27-2005, 01:10 AM
Thanks for your reply eon. Both hda1 and hdb1 show up during boot ,but when KDE comes up there are no hdd icons on the desktop. Windows does recognize both drives. I have decided to purchase a USB drive enclosure and install the second hdd there for my home and swap files. I had no problems with only one hdd installed and was able to copy knoppix to hda1 and boot knoppix from hd.

eon
01-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Sometimes usb is a little tricky also.

If the only problem is not having a desktop icon ( I'm not running 3.7 ) then you could try
creating one. Knoppix usually sets up /etc/fstab for you. Just right click on the desktop
select create new device (from the menu that right clicking displays) and then select the correct device
from the device tab under properties.