PDA

View Full Version : How to?

lenninct
01-24-2005, 08:57 AM
How can i ftp into my Win XP comp with Knoppix and vice versa (into knoppix from xp)

thx

Harry Kuhman
01-24-2005, 09:40 PM
How can i ftp into my Win XP comp with Knoppix and vice versa (into knoppix from xp)
It's not completely clear what you are asking. You can put ftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx into the url window of the browser that opens when Knoppix boots and you will establish an FTP connection to an FTP server that way (where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is actually the IP address of the target system, as in ftp://192.168.0.101). There is also a text level FTP client that you can access from the shell by typing in "ftp", if you like to use put and get rather than a GUI. There may be other gui based FTP clients in Knopix somewhere too.

Do you have a FTP server running on your Windows box? That would be an important step, although it's beyond the scope of this forum to discuss setting up FTP servers on Windows. Such discussion might be OK for the lounge, even better on a windows oriented site or newsgroup. And you may have to convince your windows firewall to let the FTP packets come in and go out.

I've looked but I don't know of an FTP sever that is included in the Knoppix Live CD. If anyone knows of an FTP server in Knoppix, please post.

You would also likely be wise to force all transfers to use binary mode, unless you are 100% certain that you want FTP to do the Linux new line to MS CR/LF translation for you.

I just hit my windows FTP server from my knopix live CD and it worked fine, so I'm not clear what problem you are having,

In the future please put some thing actually useful in the topic. Many people likely skipped reading this (as I nearly did) because the subject line was completely worthless, and it will not help anyone else who is searching the subjects later looking for answers.

lenninct
01-25-2005, 06:03 AM
I installed Knoppix in my gateway running at 355Mhz P2, knoppix really works well, but i am sorry that i could not be more specific.....

Here is what i want to do, i want to use knoppix as a media player in my room, it is connected to my LAN, i have many divx movies on my compaq presario, but i want to transfer the movies to my gateway one without using dvds or cd-r. I was thinking of using and ftp program to transfer the stuff from pc to pc......

xxkacklerxx
01-30-2005, 02:50 PM
If you are going to FTP, you need and FTP Server. If you are using WinXP or a Windows Server OS on your colmputer this is totally easy.
1. Open Control Panel
2. Add/Remove Programs
3. Click Add/Remove Windows Components button on the left
4. Go to the IIS Listign adn click details
5. CHeck FTP Services
6. Click OK

Now you need to configure IIS
1.Start > Run, Type mmc
2. Look for the IIS Administration
3. Configrure which directory you want to use and your set.

If you don' t have XP or a Server OS, you'll have to install an ftp server onyour knoppix box and ftp from you windows pc to your knoppix pc.

Markus
01-30-2005, 03:07 PM
Knoppix has ftpd as an ftp server. I would recommend using sftp though as it's more secure and quite easy to use.
You can set the config in /etc/ssh/sshd_config and start it with /etc/init.d/ssh start , stop it with stop.
To have it start on bootup do update-rc.d ssh defaults

Usage: sftp login@IPnumber (If you have the same login name on both comps use just: sftp IPnumber)
Or if you specified a listening port other than 22 in sshd_config: sftp -oPort=portnumber login@IPnumber
Transfer files with commands put and get.
cd and ls -s work on the remote comp, lcd and lls -l on local comp.

man sftp has info on it.

I wrote the above about usage for people who want to use knoppix to access another linux machine and since you asked for a Windows access to knoppix:
fire up ssh like above on knoppix and use WinSCP to transfer files.

OErjan
01-30-2005, 05:40 PM
konqueror (another linux box) fish://username@ipmumber. works GREAT.
or putty in windows, it has psftp.

pureone
01-31-2005, 12:53 AM
quick n easy ftp is a nice ftp server windows. i wouldnt recomend using iis.

xxkacklerxx
01-31-2005, 01:53 AM
Yeah, I agree with not using iis, we all know the security issues. But I think he was just going to use it internally, so in that case it would be fine.