PDA

View Full Version : hd install - no boot or L 9999

baliola
01-26-2005, 02:37 PM
Hello,

I already installed various Linux distros besides Knoppix 3.7 but never ran in so much trouble as in the last 3 days.

I tried to install 3.7 on two computers
1) workstation 3.2 GHZ, 3 HD, 80 GB, 250 GB, 250 GB SATA
2) notebook T40, 30 GB

on both XP is installed on the first partition (NTFS)
on the notebook Linux was installed previously and I just wanted to reinstall it due to some user mistakes ....
I managed to format the SATA HD to ext3 and fat32 (prev. fat and NTFS)
OS partition were fat32 or already ext3

sudo knoppix-installer works fine, debian-installer way, lilo to mbr, tried kernel 2.4 and 2.6. However booting my workstation results in booting MS Win, no Linux bootmanager visible, booting my notebook results in "L 99 99 99 ..." and no OS is booting up.

I already found that the L 99 99 ... message is due to some lilo problems, but I am suprised that it worked a couple of months ago and now fails.
How do I solve that ?
How do I convince my workstation to recognize the mbr?

Any more infos needed? just tell me and I will post them.

TIA, Martin

baliola
01-26-2005, 05:22 PM
well, I downloaded 3.6 and tried it - worked perfectly no "L 99 99 99 ..." boot error anymore on my notebook (is it a 3.7 bug?), however doing it on my workstation still results in booting MS Win without recognizing Lilo.

any idea, what might cause that?, cheers Martin

CrashedAgain
01-27-2005, 05:20 PM
..... however doing it on my workstation still results in booting MS Win without recognizing Lilo.

any idea, what might cause that?, cheers Martin

Sounds like lilo did not install. You may find what you need for solution in this post: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16504