PDA

View Full Version : Need Serious Help Installing

le91688
01-26-2005, 03:06 PM
HEres my situation
I have Knoppix 3.6 and im putting it on a laptop
I have a Boot partition of 32mb a Swap of 300MB and a Root of 4GB
I run the install program, and i choose Debian install
It begins copying files and when its almost finished i get tons and tons of errors, about decompression or something and it says Cant read Block ###### 4345045bytes lost for example. Anyone have any idea what im doing wrong?

WilyPython
01-26-2005, 03:49 PM
First confirm that the md5 checksums for the ISO file tally up, if that's okay, then it could be a bad burn - it happens.

le91688
01-26-2005, 04:48 PM
could you please verify how to do a MD5 check

Also when i burnt the iso(using nero) it said, it may not fit on the disk unless i finalize it. Think that may have been what was messed up. The wierd thing is i can boot knoppix from the disk perfectly.

WilyPython
01-26-2005, 05:44 PM
When you download the Knoppix ISO there is another file called . . . KNOPPIX_V3.7-2004-12-08-EN.iso.md5

Its just a checksum number which can be used to check for errors - always a risk with big files. Think of that Knoppix ISO file as being a giant binary number. All md5 does is perform a simple binary arithmatic opperation with it and the checksum number. Its not perfect, but it will catch most bad downloads.

The application you need to make use of that number is here . . .
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/%7Efloydian/md5/md5v12005.zip

It's only 474kb so there's no need to install it like other Windows applications, just unzip it to where ever you keep your downloads and their corresponding md5 files and run md5summer.exe

As for Nero, I think it may have been telling you that nothing else would fit on the disk. The Knoppix 3.7 ISO is 698Mb, not worth leaving it open for 2mb, or 10Mb at the most with overburn. I'm new to this myself, but I suspect using it as a demo disk wouldn't necessarily use all of the disk which is why the error could go unoticed, where as the installation it is more likely to.

I had to burn a second copy . . . because I got the german version first LoL :)

le91688
01-26-2005, 10:07 PM
k well if i run checksum and there are no problems, what should i do?

le91688
01-26-2005, 10:57 PM
Where should i install the boot loader? MBR or Partition?

le91688
01-27-2005, 12:12 AM
I tried it again, i get to 94% and then i get READ ERROR at POS ####### in file /cdrom/KNOPPIX/KNOPPIX over and over again....
This means i have a bad disk right? well how do i make a good one? Im using nero. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP

Harry Kuhman
01-27-2005, 01:01 AM
..... Its not perfect, but it will catch most bad downloads......)
It will catch all bad downloads. More specifically, the MD5 checksum is 32 hex bytes long. This means that there are 2"128 outcomes that you could get when you calculate an MD5 checksum, which is greater than 3.4e+38. For those who don't understand large numbers in scientific notation, this number is vastly much larger than the number of all files on all computers in the world. It is much much larger than all of the stars in the Universe (extimated to be in the magnitude of 5 x 10e22), and much much larger than the length of the entire universe in centimeters (3.8x10^28, based on a Universe with a 40 billion light year diameter). So suggesting that there could be bad downloads that is does not catch is rather misleading. You are simply not goting to get a different or corrupt file that has a matching md5 sum.

Harry Kuhman
01-27-2005, 01:05 AM
,,,, Im using nero. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP
Different version of Nero unfortunately hide the feature to burn an ISO in different places, so I can't say where it is in your Nero without knowing what Nero you are running. But it soulds like you have found the option to burn an ISO if you got this far. I would suggest burning a copy at 4x, not at a high speed. If that doesn't solve your problem, try the nodma cheat code.

Harry Kuhman
01-27-2005, 01:07 AM
Where should i install the boot loader? MBR or Partition?
If you are not using a boot manager program (like XOSL or Smart Boot Manager) thne you would need to install to the MBR. But I suggest and do myself install the Linux boot loader to the Linux partition and use one of the above boot managers to boot my systems; it prevents a lot of problems in the long run.

le91688
01-27-2005, 02:02 AM
OMFG i cant take it, I tried changing my settings in nero so it wont overburn and it burned the CD but when i run it it get 94% through Copying Files and then i get tons of those errors i mentioned before. I did the MD5checksum and its the same!!!!!! I NEED HELP PLEASE BEFORE I GO CRAZY.

le91688
01-27-2005, 02:09 AM
Ok im gonna try to solve this... ill tell u everything i've done

Made Boot Partition
Made Swap partition of 300MB
Made Root of 4GB(etx2)
I currently have nothing on the HD now so i dont want to dual boot, i just want Knoppix to start up
Downloaded ISO from Knopper.net
Ran the checksum for the iso and got the same number as in the FTP
Went into Nero Ultra 6
turned off Overburn(so it wont burn unless the iso can fit on the disk)
Ran at 48X
I load the boot disk(which boots perfectly)
I press Ctrl+alt+F1
I type Knoppix-Installer
then it takes me to the installer
I goto new Configuration
Choose my Root Partition
Choose Beginner Install
Set user name and all that crap
Goto install
Copying of files gets to 94% and then it starts shooting out error messages....

Does anyone have any idea where i went wrong

le91688
01-28-2005, 01:52 AM
Can someone please help me figure out whats causing this problem?

Harry Kuhman
01-28-2005, 02:03 AM
Ok im gonna try to solve this... ill tell u everything i've done

Made Boot Partition
Made Swap partition of 300MB
Made Root of 4GB(etx2)
I currently have nothing on the HD now so i dont want to dual boot, i just want Knoppix to start up
Downloaded ISO from Knopper.net
Ran the checksum for the iso and got the same number as in the FTP
Went into Nero Ultra 6
turned off Overburn(so it wont burn unless the iso can fit on the disk)
Ran at 48X
I load the boot disk(which boots perfectly)
I press Ctrl+alt+F1
I type Knoppix-Installer
then it takes me to the installer
I goto new Configuration
Choose my Root Partition
Choose Beginner Install
Set user name and all that crap
Goto install
Copying of files gets to 94% and then it starts shooting out error messages....

Does anyone have any idea where i went wrong

People frequently have probems with disks burnt this fast. I would burn a disk at 4x (or even reburn to CDRW to avoid wasting a disk). You needed to finalize the disk because when you do not finalize, the burning process writes additional information for the next session; while all of Knoppix would fit on the CD without overburn, the next session information would not. You might also try the nodma cheat code. Beyond this I believe the gods try to punish people for installing Knoppix to hard disk, have never done so, and can't give any other information.

le91688
01-28-2005, 02:34 AM
Whats noDMA b/c the error i get is something to do with DMA timeout or something.
As for burning:
what should my settings in Nero be?
Im gonna give it another shot tonite.

Harry Kuhman
01-28-2005, 03:04 AM
Whats noDMA b/c the error i get is something to do with DMA timeout or something.
As for burning:
what should my settings in Nero be?
Im gonna give it another shot tonite.
Different versions of Nero unfortuanately differ somewhat, but in general you need to open the ISO (you seem to have that part right or you would not have got this far), burn the CD at 4x (or slower) speed, burn it as a single session (finalize the disk, do not leave it open for more to be written to the disk). I like to make sure that I burn it as "disk at once" rather than "track ar once" but this shouldn't matter as you will only be writing one track anyway. You should not need to use overburn so you should not be asked (be sure you use a 700 meg CD and not a 650 meg one).

The nodma (not noDMA) cheat code turns off DMA (direct memory access) for the drive. I have seen some problems with some older drives that could not work right with DMA (which is now on by default in recent versions of Knoppix). When you boot you get a boot prompt. It goes away in a couple of seconds if you do nothing. At this prompt type knoppix nodma or knoppix26 nodma or type the F2 function key to see more information on cheat codes (what you see with f2 and f3 is not complete, however).

Just a suggestion, but sometimes when there is an error message it helps to note what it is exactly when asking for assistance, rather than not mentioning it and only later saying "the error i get is something to do with DMA timeout or something".

le91688
01-28-2005, 03:08 AM
The error has something to do with ATAPI reset and DMA timeout i think... Ill tell ya exzactly what it says when i try again tonite.
I downloaded 3.7 and used Checksum and am currently burning it at 4x with nero...
I let ya know how i make out.

Thanks for all your help.