PDA

View Full Version : libqt3 help!

jiohdi
01-26-2005, 04:20 PM
I found Opera required libqt3...so I hunted it down, found it in Kpackage.... tried to install it...
it said result=100 because it depended on other things....
but it also tried but, I guess because it stopped, to remove a whole list of valid programs....why?
and now it seems to have added double entries in my menu ... why? and now to get rid of the doubles?

was it trying to remove programs and replace them with updates or was it just removing them because it
did not like them? [conflicts?]

jiohdi
01-27-2005, 04:09 PM
can someone at least tell me if installing libqt3 will damage my set up?
as I said, it seems to want to remove a whole load of programs, but is it replacing them or just axing them?

CrashedAgain
01-27-2005, 05:41 PM
try 'sudo apt-get install libqt3', if it says it is going to to something which looks destructive, abort & post the messages apt is giving.
The 'remove a whole lot of applications' happens because dpkg (the utility which actually does the install) attempts to upgrade dependencies to match the new install which may mean that it will have to remove application X to upgrade it. As soon as it removes application X it also wants to remove everythinbg that depends on application X. It shouldn't work this way but sometimes it appears to want to.
Do 'sudo apt-get update' to update your package lists tothe latest before you attempt any installs. If apt-get update doesn't complete properly just repeat it until it does.