PDA

View Full Version : Windows apps on knoppix

computerman0216
01-26-2005, 06:51 PM
Hi i have had knoppix for a couple months but i cant use it all that much because all the work i have to do is done on window applications. I know that you can run winows apps one macs with virtual pc but i was woundering if her is some thing like that for knoppix or outher linuk.

thanks for the help

bigkahuna
01-26-2005, 07:44 PM
Have you tried Wine?

Wine is -not- a Windows emulator, it runs Windows apps in native mode, so it may take some effort to get the applications to run. I'm a Linux newbie and have Knoppix 3.7. I tried running every Windows app on my system the other day: only 3 or 4 ran well, and unfortunately they were not apps I use alot. I suspect that if I spend some time and set things up properly (copying .dll files to the "fake Windows directory", etc.) I may be able to get more applications to work.

Cedega and Crossover Office are commercial versions of Wine, and although not free, are not expensive either.

Paul

CrashedAgain
01-27-2005, 05:45 PM
Depending on what type of work you are doing, you may find a suitable linux aplternative. OpenOffice will work with MS Word, Excel & Powerpoint formats. There is no direct replacement for MS Access or professional level CAD programs.