PDA

View Full Version : CoExisting with WINDOZE

A. Jorge Garcia
12-23-2002, 05:47 PM
OK, before you guys start flaming me, this is my better half's PC with a winmodem! She'll die if I get rid of WINDOZE....

Anyway, I ran knx-hdinstall and managed to kill the WINDOZE partition when trying to make new linux and linux swap partitions with cfdisk.

Question 1: Is there some way to repartition a HD to install KNOPPIX without killing the currently installed WINDOZE (single partition of whole drive)?

Also, I reinstalled everything as follows:
hda1 WIN FAT32 3000KB
hda2 linux swap 256KB
hda3 linux rest of drive.
I reinstalled WINDOZE and had it working before reinstalling KNOPPIX. Now I can't boot into WINDOZE. Only KNOPPIX shows up on the dual boot screen.

Question 2:How do I undo this? Is it an MBR problem? Now I have a great Debian install on the HD, but cannot boot WINDOZE! Should I not have used one of the last knx-hdinstall options for the MBR dual boot? Could I have used a boot disk to boot the Debian install on the HD when I want and just boot to WINDOZE otherwise?

Thanx,

Fabian
12-23-2002, 06:40 PM
Don't panic there is a nice solution for this problem:

- Start debian

- Edit /etc/lilo.conf as root (Using vi or joe, or whatever you like)

Add:

other=/dev/hda1
label=Windows
table=/dev/hda

to the end of it ...

Start

lilo

(also as root)

Reboot and boot your Windows by selectiing it from the menu ...

cu

Fabian

chris
12-23-2002, 09:31 PM
use "parted" or "nparted" (the later with a simpler interface) to repartition the drive. this works well with FAT partitions, NTFS beeing a problem.

Otherwise use one of the commercial partition mannagers to free some space on the disk.

A. Jorge Garcia
12-23-2002, 09:47 PM
Is "parted" freeware? I understand that the commercial program partitionmagic works well for this. I'd like to stick to open source or freeware.

Thanx, Fabian, I tried your fix and everything works fine!

Regards,

FelixDzerzhinsky
12-24-2002, 05:49 PM
I used Partition Magic 5.0 in Win98 to partition first. No problems on install. Installed knoppix on hda 2 and had it boot from there also. Used Boot Magic as boot manager.

Only problem. I still can't get on the net using any type of linux since I reinstalled windoze. I have to wonder how this is possible.

I think the problem is in the eth0 setup.

Does anyone know how to put eth0 into 10 half duplex mode?

Thanks