PDA

View Full Version : printer stops?

brianfay
01-27-2005, 02:56 AM
I've got a weird one. On one machine we have at school, the printing will work for a bit and then, for reasons beyond my understanding, then it will stack jobs up in the que and nothing I do will get those documents to print. I'm running a hard drive install of 3.7 and printing on our network to a HP 4100. I have tried to get the printing going through the printing manager on the control panel and on the configure printer option under the Knoppix Penguin. It's beyond me. The only thing that works is to restart the machine and that seems counter productive.

Any ideas? If ou need more information, I'll send it right along. Thanks.

lemuel
01-29-2005, 02:13 AM
I really cant help you cause i'm still a newbie. but I do have a suggestion that might bring you closer.

try using your printer on other distros, and also on other desktop environments like gnome or xfce. this might be very cumbersome but you it will give you clues on where the problem lies, whether on knoppix, kde, or the printer driver itself.

i'd suggest downloading Gnoppix cause although it sounds like knoppix, it really isnt cause its based on ubuntu, and its desktop is gnome. plus its a live distro so you wont have to install it.

brianfay
02-01-2005, 06:54 PM
I'm finding that the problem isn't just a printing issue, it's the network connection which seems to get dropped. I'm not sure how to check this one out. I'll post another topic about it here and see if anyone has had something similar.