PDA

View Full Version : Audio CD duplicating blues

Cuddles
01-27-2005, 04:58 PM
This has been going on for about two weeks, and I thought I had the answer, or atleast, a direction, but, that has proven to be for not....

So...

I have been trying to duplicate a Audio CD, so that I can enjoy this CD in both my Sony 300 CD player in the home, and, in the player in my car... But it has only given me errors...

I have tried k3b, and using cdrdao in both copy, and read-cd mode... K3b just likes to lock my system up, and can happen in any location in the copy process... Cdrdao will completely read the CD, but then reports:

Track 18...
Found pre-gap: 00:01:64
Found ISRC code.
Found 457 Q sub-channels with CRC errors.
Found disk catalogue number.
Reading of toc and track data finished successfully.

From what I have been told, the CRC errors are a BAD, and have lead me down the path of "bad media" or "bad device" -=- media I cant help, the CD plays fine, in my players, and doesnt appear to have any "media" defects, when looked at... I even replaced my DVD and CD-RW devices with brand new ones, and I still get these errors... I really want to get this CD able to be played in the car, and still have one in my home player...

Anyone know anything about cdrdao? Can I decrease these CRC errors somehow? Can I get more details from cdrdao, like, maybe, where these CRC errors are coming from, like any specific tracks ( does cdrdao provide more verbose output, on errors, and when it detects them? )

I have tried reading the CD in through my DVD, and through my CD-RW devices, same results... Can I use something else, something that may let these errors get by, or is there some setting with cdrdao to allow this already?

I dont appear to be having any problems with any other CD, only this one in particular... But, it plays fine ( I cant image it has any "copy-protection" scheme ), I just cant copy it...

Any, and all, help, is greatly appreciated,
Ms. Cuddles

Markus
01-27-2005, 07:39 PM
Why not just rip it and burn a new audio cd from the wav's? Or won't it rip either?

Cuddles
01-29-2005, 05:31 PM
Why not just rip it and burn a new audio cd from the wav's? Or won't it rip either?

Good idea, havent tried that, yet...

I guess I didnt want to use anything that went through my soundcard ( its a cheapy-mobo-mounted one ), and any time I use audio through the soundcard, its usually sounding like "waste-by-product from the export of the back-end of an animal"...

I've used "jack" before, and the audio sounded like it was recorded in a studio with a blender, not the best quality... Whereas, k3b did a "data" audio copy, the sound quality was near identical to the original... Not quite sure what cdrdao did, since it had errors during the read, if it read through the data, or audio read, in either case, it had errors...

What package should I be looking for? Does it "rip" from the data channel, or through the soundcard? ( I'd prefer a data rip, and something that doesnt channel through my soundcard )

Thanks for any assistance,
Ms. Cuddles

Markus
01-29-2005, 05:47 PM
Well, normally cdrdao should work for ripping but you can also try this one:
markus@fujibox:~$ apt-cache show cdda2wav
Package: cdda2wav
Priority: optional
Section: sound
Installed-Size: 328
Maintainer: Joerg Jaspert <joerg@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Source: cdrtools
Version: 4:2.01+01a01-2
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4)
Suggests: vorbis-tools, cdrtools-doc
Conflicts: xcdroast (<< 0.98+0alpha11)
Filename: pool/main/c/cdrtools/cdda2wav_2.01+01a01-2_i386.deb
Size: 157636
MD5sum: fd2ebe9ef7d850dd336797eaebe8de2a
Description: Creates WAV files from audio CDs
cdda2wav lets you digitally copy audio tracks from a CD-ROM, avoiding
the distortion that is introduced when recording via a sound card. Data
can be dumped into raw (cdr), wav or sun format sound files. Options control
the recording format (stereo/mono; 8/16 bits; sampling rate, etc).
Please install cdrtools-doc if you want most of the documentation and
Readme-files.

For some examples have a look at: http://www.jeepster.org.uk/bits/cliburn.html

Cuddles
01-29-2005, 06:45 PM
Thanks Markus,

I saw the cdda2wav in my searching, realized I didnt have it installed, did the apt install, and was looking through the man pages on the package... Just wasnt sure if it would do my trick... I'll give that a try, and I guess, if this "one" CD doesnt like that either, it will be time to buy another CD...

Thanks again for the assistance :)

Cuddles
01-31-2005, 02:49 PM
R E S O L V E D :!:

Thanks to the help from the people on the IRC chat line - MZ to be more precise...

Resolution was to use abcde to rip the cd to hd as wav files, and then to burn them to media with cdrecord

If I ever get another cd audio as pesky as this one, I'll use this again...

Thanks to everyone for the assistance,
Ms. Cuddles

Markus
01-31-2005, 03:19 PM
Glad it worked.
Did you ever try cdda2wav? Reason I ask is that abcde is a frontend and requires one of the following to read the cd: cdparanoia, cdda2wav, dagrab

Cuddles
01-31-2005, 04:03 PM
Nope, never tried it... I had it installed though... I watched the output of abcde, and noticed that it had used cdparanoia, but, it did have the choice.

Thanks for your help Markus :)