PDA

View Full Version : Boot hangs on "Loading linux kernal"

jimmyjrosu
01-28-2005, 02:25 PM
I have just tried booting Knoppix 3.6. I get to the screen "Loading linux kernal" I have tried different cheat codes including failsafe and just cant get past that. Its a compaq and has a hidden partition for recovery, could this be a problem? Thanks.

jimmyjrosu
03-08-2005, 03:08 PM
anyone?

OErjan
03-08-2005, 05:30 PM
as linux does not use the hardrivew AT ALL, it works even without one, it is not likely to be the problem.
have you checked the md5sum?
did you burn it at slow speed?
have you tried with a diferent media (some cheap brands may be troublesome to get a decent boot/burn from)

foamrotreturns
03-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Also, can you specify what happens when it hangs? does the screen blank out, or does it just hang at Loading Kernel......?
If it's a blanking screen, try the cheatcode fb1024x768. that has solved 70 percent of the boot hangs I've dealt with in here.

jimmyjrosu
03-10-2005, 11:51 PM
as for OErjan's qestion, the cd works, i have used it on my laptop. foamrotreturns, I had to type knoppix vga=normal to see the screen to get it not to blank out. I type knoppix vga=normal, then it continues till it gets to "loading linux kernel", then nothing, is there a way to monitor everything that is going on in the background?

OErjan
03-11-2005, 09:02 AM
sadly somd CD-readers can read a CDburnt at high speed others NOT. and to make things weird, depending on your hardware some brands might be less reliable than others, the higher priced ones generally better (not always).
i have also seen a cd that booted OK on one system but was not 100%ok, the checksum was wrong, on the next PC it crashed saying it coulsd not load kernal (probably a damaged module). the Cd should NOT have loaded, but it did.

jimmyjrosu
03-12-2005, 07:50 PM
Okay, i feel like an idiot. I was typing "acpi=false" instead of "acpi=off" works great now. geez:-)

the_docta
03-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Also, can you specify what happens when it hangs? does the screen blank out, or does it just hang at Loading Kernel......?
If it's a blanking screen, try the cheatcode fb1024x768. that has solved 70 percent of the boot hangs I've dealt with in here.

Thanks. That just solved my problem.