PDA

View Full Version : Firewall problems? Gaim Issues

gamezealot
01-29-2005, 12:17 AM
I figure this has to be firewall issues.... or maybe GAIM just sucks for file transfers..... I cant do direct connect, or file transfers with anybody.... I can do it fine on my mac though, and when i boot into windows on this machine, works fine..... I havent installed any firewall software though....... is there a built in firewall with knoppix? and how could i possibly fix this?

pureone
01-29-2005, 11:19 PM
are you behind a router?

i dont belive gaurd dog stars up at boot up. guard dog is a firewall i think the only one in knoppix but im not sure.

Markus
01-29-2005, 11:27 PM
You should be able to see if the knoppix firewall is active with: iptables -nvL
If it's running you can open ports with something like:
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 6891:6893 -j ACCEPT
$IPTABLES -A INPUT -i eth0 -p udp -m udp --dport 6891:6893 -j ACCEPT

Change eth0 if you have something different and I hope you know what opening ports means security wise.

Another way to check would be to run lsmod and see if ipt_ and iptables_ modules are loaded.

As you probably guessed I don't run knoppix so I don't know where the firewall script is run from. Possibly it's in /etc/init.d or /usr/local/bin and is started by some script in /etc/rc*

EDIT: hmm. Did the above post get just edited and the comments about guarddog added to it or am I going blind?
Well, if it's guarddog tinker with that instead of running the above commands for iptables.

pureone
01-30-2005, 12:15 AM
ya i edited my post took away the question asking what firewall they was using, and adding the comments about gaurd dog.

i dont belive the problem is with knoppix its self but more with gaim.

from my current understanding of the msn / yahoo protocol (if thats what your using gaim for) is that when a file transver takes place the client will try to connect to 2 differnt ips the one of the client there trying to send the file to and msn / yahoos servers. if the connection for client to client fails then the person trying to send the file will send it via the server.

i would like to know if you have managed to connect to a person directly using gaim on windows.

the offical msn client uses plug and play (i belive) and tends to make direct connection much easyer.
it would also help to know if the person your trying to connect to is behind a firewall of any sort, either hardware based (router) or software based

gamezealot
02-07-2005, 07:35 AM
Ok, so yea..... I ran iptables -nvL.... and this is what came up

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 9881 packets, 14M bytes)
pkts bytes target prot opt in out source destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 7420 packets, 435K bytes)

and in lsmod, these are the only IP related things that show

iptable_filter 1768 0 (autoclean) (unused)
ip_tables 11768 1 [iptable_filter]

AND i tried running this.... $IPTABLES -A INPUT -i eth0 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 6891:6893 -j ACCEPT

bash: -A: command not found

I do understand what opening ports does ;).... I actually do Apple Computer Technical support.... but we never fuck with terminal in OS X. And the firewall issues are a bit easier in OS X. But any other help would be awesome. I can direct connect within windows using AIM with almost all my buddies. But i cant do anyhting like that with GAIM.

pureone
02-07-2005, 01:19 PM
i belive its a gaim issue.

normaly when i use the offical clients while in windows i get direct connections but while using linux and gaim i can never get a direct connection. so really i dont think theres anything you can do about it.

Markus
02-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Forgot to replace $IPTABLES with iptables as I copied that from my firewall script, but as I said you should have tinkered with knoppix firewall instead. As iptables isn't even loaded, pureone is correct, not a firewall problem.