PDA

View Full Version : 'apt-get upgrade' Help

wademago
01-30-2005, 06:47 AM
Hi, i'm running Knoppix 3.7, Dual booting with WinXp Pro.
I ran the 'apt-get update' command, and when that was complete I ran 'apt-get upgrade'.
When i booted linux, it asked me for a username and password.
I select the username knoppix from the list and then typed in my password for root (i changed it before doing this).
But it just says log-in failed!
If anyone could help it would be appreciated.

harken
01-30-2005, 04:31 PM
The password for the root account is valid only when used in conjunction with it. You can't log in as a different user with the root's password. At most you can log in as a regular user then use 'su' to execute a certain program that requires root privileges.

CrashedAgain
01-30-2005, 05:37 PM
Did you set a password for user knoppix? if not , you may have difficulty logging in. If this happens, try logging in as root (type in 'root' as the username if it's not on the list) then set a password for knoppix. You may have to do a console login, I have read somewhere that gui logins as root have been locked out in version 3.7 but don't know, I have 3.4.

Post back how the apt-get upgrade went, lots of users have had problems with apt-get upgrade screwing up the system.

foamrotreturns
01-31-2005, 01:35 AM
I have read somewhere that gui logins as root have been locked out in version 3.7
You can get around this by exiting out to a console login and logging in as root, then typing "startx"
It's kind of sloppy but if you need to run a graphical program as root, that's a good way to do it.

wademago
01-31-2005, 06:35 AM
I tried to log-in as root but CrashedAgain is correct, you cannot log-in as root.
So i did a console log-in and typed 'startx', so now i'm in Linux again.
How do i change the password for the user 'knoppix'?
I really would like to use knoppix as it has all my settings and files.
Thanks for your help guys.