PDA

View Full Version : Need Write Permission?

dark_mage
01-31-2005, 05:54 AM
while completing the steps to correctly install the ALSA drivers that i need for my audigy 2 sound card, it calls for me to write to the X-Config file (forgot the name) in the dir /etc/X11/. however, i cant save the required changes to the file as when i attempt to it says that i dont have write permission. however, im the only user for the system and i dont really know how to use text-based editors to make the changes as the root.
i can just keep the system as it is right now, but i must modprobe the required modules whenever i startup my system under linux.
can anyone help me?

Mitch
01-31-2005, 08:33 PM
D.M.,

In the course of getting my graphics cards to work with Knoppix 3.6, I had to edit my
"XF86Config-4" file in /etc/X11. Was this the name of the file you couldn't write to?

If it was, you might need to log in as root and change its permissions. If this doesn't work,
I have another suggestion that has worked for me:

1. Boot off the Knoppix CD.
2. Once up, immediately choose "logout" -> "turn computer off"
3. When prompted, remove the CD and press enter. Wait for the "click" of your
HD, and the power to go off (or the power to stay on, but the words "power off"
to appear on the screen - this was the case with my machine).
4. Hit the "Power" button (or in my case the "reset" button) to come back up.
5. Put the "File Manager as Superuser" icon IN THE TASKBAR (seems to work better
from there in my case) by right-clicking on the taskbar->add->Applications->
System->More Programs->File Manager as Superuser.
6. Thereafter, navigate to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 using the File Manager as Superuser
icon in the taskbar.

I hope at least some of this will help.

Mitch

gnarvaja
01-31-2005, 08:49 PM
5. Put the "File Manager as Superuser" icon IN THE TASKBAR (seems to work better
from there in my case) by right-clicking on the taskbar->add->Applications->
System->More Programs->File Manager as Superuser.
6. Thereafter, navigate to /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 using the File Manager as Superuser
icon in the taskbar.

If you are running from the CD, I would imagine that you would still have to save your configuration to HD, USB Key or something. To do it go to Main Menu -> KNOPPIX -> Configure -> Save KNOPPIX Configuration . Remember to use the myconf=scan or similar cheat code the next time you boot.

--GN