PDA

View Full Version : Using Knoppix to transfer HDD to HDD regardless the format

Calroth
01-31-2005, 03:31 PM
I am trying to transfer data from one HDD to the other HDD using Knoppix Live CD.

The file format for the HDD is unknown to me.

Does Knoppix live CD have a utility on it to transfer the data?

Same premise as Norto_n Ghost, but with alternative HDD data formats.

Any and all assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,
Larry

Cuddles
01-31-2005, 04:17 PM
Calroth,

Good question, and, my answer, ( i think, YES )

The hard part; the mounting of the drives, so that coruption of data is not made. ( this would be "very" true if one of the drives is NTFS )

Reason for YES; Linux is a lot "smarter" than windows... Linux can recognize FAT ( 16 / 32 ), Win95 / 98, VFAT, NTFS, ext2, ext3, reiser, etc... Whereas, Windows is only able to recognize its "own" formats; DOS, Windows, and NTFS...

Command is easy: a finely crafted dd command should copy data, like: dd if=xxxxx of=yyyyyyy -=- for more details, look at the man pages for "dd"....

As for the mount commands, you can "hope" that Linux detected the devices correctly, and use what it placed in the /etc/fstab file, or maybe use a cfdisk in a Konsole to see what the drive reports its formated as... In either case, you will want to ensure that the format of the device you are writting to, is correct... Anything, other than NTFS, are you are good to go, if, on the far chance it is NTFS, you will want to read up on "Captive NTFS"... Again, all of this is to protect the device you are writing to, so, as, not to corrupt any data, or the device upon writting to it...

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles