PDA

View Full Version : Help needed: Menu shortcuts Doubled

weedje
02-01-2005, 04:56 AM
Hi, all of the sudden I have this problem with the start menu in knoppix, it shows many duplicate entries... :(
http://www.weedhouse2.cistron.nl/pics/doublemenuentries.jpg

please help, thanks in advance,
weedje

Cuddles
02-01-2005, 05:16 PM
weedje,

I ( kinda ) had the same problem, but, I "did" something that caused it to happen...

My problem started when I "lost" 90% of my menu entries... I had done ( an accidental ) "apt-get dist-upgrade", and allowed it to "force" install. Upon completion of this dasterdly thing, my KMenu was almost empty. I verified that the programs were still in existance, and was able to run them with a Command Line Interface, but the menu entries just "went away"...

Someone suggested running a "debian" menu updater, and even the KDE menu updater... Some of my menu entries came back, and many of them were "duplicated", as it appears, what you seem to be experiencing... When I finally got all my menu entries back, my resolve....

Manually examine each menu entry, and determine which ones you dont want, and then use menu editor to remove the offending entries. Its not the simplest, nor the easiest, and is time consuming, but, it worked ( in the long run ).

Hope this helps,
Ms. Cuddles

weedje
02-01-2005, 07:54 PM
Thanks for your reply Cuddles,

But, unfortunatly I ran apt-get upgrade and screwed over my hd install :shock:
resulting in huge fonts and unwanted programs installed, anyways,

I reinstalled knoppix to the harddrive and everything is back to normal, I'll try to be more carefull with installing stuff through apt-get, I think thats why the menu got messed up, because I was trying al sorts of different programs, wine, cedega, and other windows programs emulators,

Thanks anyway

weedje