PDA

View Full Version : Can't access the internet

Krazy
12-23-2002, 08:34 PM
OK guys, I am a linux newbie, so please forgive me if I sound like an idiot. I am using KNOPPIX v 3.1 (12-12-02) and can't access the internet. I have a netgear FA311 NIC with Linksys router/switch connected to cable modem. My system is a Shuttle AK32 motherboard with athalon 1.4 gig and 384mb ram. Everything else about KNOPPIX seems to work fine, just can't get on the net. any help would be appreciated. thank you!

01-10-2003, 04:53 AM
OK guys, I am a linux newbie, so please forgive me if I sound like an idiot. I am using KNOPPIX v 3.1 (12-12-02) and can't access the internet. I have a netgear FA311 NIC with Linksys router/switch connected to cable modem. My system is a Shuttle AK32 motherboard with athalon 1.4 gig and 384mb ram. Everything else about KNOPPIX seems to work fine, just can't get on the net. any help would be appreciated. thank you!

I had the same problem. Can you tell me if you got a response?

It seems as though there are not many answers to questions posted here:(

aay
01-10-2003, 05:49 AM
Can you ping your router? Did knoppix detect and configure your network card properly? You can get info about this by typing "ipconfig" from the command line. Cut and paste your results back here. Also try opening a root shell and run netcardconfig then follow the wizard.

RockMumbles
01-10-2003, 07:39 AM
the command should be " ifconfig "

I 'think' (am guessing) that your card uses the rtl8139too module, so try this as root from a terminal or console:

modprobe rtl8139too

if you don't get any errors that is the correct NIC driver module. then still at a command line type:

ifup eth0

then ifconfig and see if you have an eth0 entry.

HTH

rock

aay
01-10-2003, 05:23 PM
the command should be " ifconfig"

Good Lord I was slipping into windoze thinking for a moment. Thank you RockMumbles and sorry Krazy for the confusion!

hengx
01-15-2003, 02:53 PM
Try

/sbin/dhclient eth0