PDA

View Full Version : cannot connect to network and internet

t h 3 dunadan
04-04-2003, 09:50 AM
I have a Broadcom iLine10(tm) Network Adapter in my AMD Athlon 1.4G running WinXP. It's hooked up to the phoneline to a Linksys router and a cable modem. I can't seem to get the network up and running in Knoppix, can someone help me out?

garyng
04-04-2003, 11:22 AM
can you see the network card in KNOPPIX or not ?

ifconfig

t h 3 dunadan
04-04-2003, 07:21 PM
I'm sorry to say I'm a complete Linux/Knoppix newbie, so i don't even know how to do that. I know that when booting up it seems to find the network card and i also know that even though my network uses DHCP, when Knoppix tries to broadcast on DHCP nothing happens. Let me know how to look at hardware profiles in Knoppix and maybe i can get somewhere.

EDIT: My brother says there's no linux driver that recognizes a homePNA network, only ones that recognize ethernet. So that's bad news 'cause my whole house uses HPNA. :-(

RockMumbles
04-04-2003, 07:56 PM
open a konsole window and do a:

sudo ifconfig

there should be two entries:

eth0 ...

lo...

rock

t h 3 dunadan
04-04-2003, 09:13 PM
when i do that it only lists a 'lo', no 'eth0' even though during boot up, if says something like 'network device eth0 found. DHCP broadcasting. (background)' that's not exactly what it says, but it's close

EDIT: I found some linux homepna drivers, but i don't know how to get Knoppix to use them, if someone could help me out, that's be great

rauze
04-28-2003, 01:29 AM
I have exactly the same issue. I also use the broadcom iLine card to connect through my phone lines to go through the router and my cable modem. (I use a generic 3Com card on a third computer to do the same thing).

If a solution is found, I certainly would appreciate any help that is available about how to implement it. (I, also, am new to Linux--but I am certainly impressed by what I have seen so far.)

Thanks in advance. :?: