PDA

View Full Version : Network connection is dropped?

brianfay
02-01-2005, 07:14 PM
I have Knoppix 3.7 installed on a machine here at school, connnected to our network. An odd thing is happening. When booted, the network connection is fine, we can print, access the web, the whole thing. Then, after a while (I haven't been able to reliably time it, but my guess is that it's about an hour) the network connection fails and we can't access the network, the web, the networked printer, and on and on.

I'm not sure how to check on what's going on with the network. I'm sure that there is a utility or command that I can use to check on the network, shut it down and restart it, whatever is necessary.

One bit of information that might be useful is to tell you that logging out of the account does not do anything, but restarting the machine does. I haven't tried accessing as root to see if that makes a difference. I'll try that the next time it fails.

If this isn't the right place to ask this, please let me know where to post. Thank you very much.

UnderScore
02-01-2005, 08:30 PM
To see all network devices:
ifconfig -a

To stop all network devices & restart them
/etc/init.d/networking restart

To show the routing & default gateway:
route
or
netstat -r

To refresh IP address from DHCP server
pump -i eth0 --renew

To view system events & messages
tail -f /var/log/messages
tail -f /var/log/syslog
(Use CTRL-C to exit tail)

I hope this helps.
James

honigbaer
02-03-2005, 05:23 PM
Well, it helped me and I didn't want to leave it naked here, so I donate my appreciation.