PDA

View Full Version : Adding a DVD writer post- HD-install

Arkaein
02-02-2005, 12:40 AM
Hey everyone, I run a Knoppix 3.4 HD-install on my home computer. It currently has a combo CD writer/DVD reader drive, but I've been thinking about adding an internal DVD writer.

What I'd like to know is, will there be any problems installing a new piece of hardware like this on an existing HD-install? I'd rather not have to do any significant OS modifications. SImple updates through Apt-get would be fine of course.

I'm guessing things with hardware and drivers overall are better now, but part of the reason I'm asking is that a few years back I replaced a standard CD drive with a CD writer on a dual boot Mandrake machine, but I never did get the writer to work under Linux, and reinstalling wasn't really an option (very limited HD space). So if anyone could answer this question and point out any potential pitfalls I be quite grateful. Also, I'd appreciate any recommendations on good models of internal DVD writer to buy and install.

Some info about my system:
Knoppix 3.3 HD-install, 2.4 kernel
Athlon XP on Asus MB
IDE hard drive
IDE CD writer/DVD reader (all functions work properly here)

Arkaein
02-02-2005, 10:31 PM
Since I haven't gotten any replies yet I thought I might relax the restrictions on my problem.

While I would prefer an internal DVD writer I could live with an external one, though it would be nice to know the pros and cons for each. Also, whatever I need to do to my Knoppix/Debian install I'll do (as long as it doesn't mean a reinstall) as long as someone can explain what likely needs to be done.

If anyone is pretty sure that I can just install a drive and have it Just Work (TM) because my system likely already has everything it needs working, I'd appreciate knowing.

Thanks.

firebyrd10
02-03-2005, 12:18 AM
I would think that a fstab update would be needed and running running k3bsetup should be all thats needed.

foamrotreturns
02-03-2005, 05:10 AM
Should be fine. Your experience a few years ago was just that - a few years ago. So many advances in Plug and Play compatibility have been made since then that you should not have much trouble at all. I would go with the internal personally.

Arkaein
02-03-2005, 06:26 AM
Good to hear. I suspected this might be true, especially since I already have a working CD burner/DVD reader, and already use k3B, but would rather be safe than sorry.

And I think I will go with the internal, as my desk is cluttered enough as it is.