PDA

View Full Version : Problems w/ HP zv5320us Laptop

BigPaul2006
02-02-2005, 01:53 AM
My laptop hd has decided to stop working with xp so ive decided to use knoppix to boot into my laptop, and transfer my files from the 2nd petition to my main pc over the network. However, knoppix wont detect my network card. when i go through the knoppix command, it goes blank. if i go through expert and press no to everything it boots up but with not network. if i go through framebuffer, i nvr get it right for some reason, and in failsafe, i dont have any sound or ntwk card. anyone know how 2 resolve this?

pureone
02-02-2005, 02:06 AM
what happens with the default settings ie no boot codes. is this a ethernet card or a wireless card your trying to get to work?

BigPaul2006
02-02-2005, 02:13 AM
ethernet...on failsafe, it doesnt turn on

BigPaul2006
02-02-2005, 02:16 AM
wait, i jst got it 2 work...il post what happens nxt, is it possible to find a windows pc through knopix?

BigPaul2006
02-02-2005, 02:27 AM
how do i transfer files from one partition in knoppix to my xp box on my home network?

BigPaul2006
02-02-2005, 02:40 AM
it keeps stalling in samba...someone please help

pureone
02-02-2005, 03:14 AM
use ftp if anything. you can use samba. basicly turn on samba creat a username and password. make sure you click yes when it asked do you want to allow the drives to be mounts / read and write to. (you shouldnt be able to write to them but you can copy from it to your xp hd)

then go to windows open up explorer and do \\iphere\ you should get a list of shared folders.when you click on the shared doc it should ask for the username and password you set in knoppix when you turned on smb server(samba).

you should have a built in ftp program for knoppix such as ftpd ftp-d or pure-ftpd. just open up dos or explorer and go to the ip that knoppix has (check ifconfig before hand so you know knoppixs ip)in dos

ftp ip it should ask for a username make sure you have set roots password for this and sign in as root.
you could do this with explorer just the same open up ie and type ftp://knoppixip and it should ask for a username and password.

BigPaul2006
02-02-2005, 07:26 AM
will this resolve the problem of me getting really slow transfer speeds? does knoppix support usb hard drives?

pureone
02-02-2005, 07:31 AM
with a network your transver speeds should be at a nice speed. if you doing file transvers via your isp no it wont change the speed.

as for knoppix having usb drive support. i belive the answer is most probley. only way to see is to try though.