PDA

View Full Version : ARGH!?! Help with firewire and printer?

bigkahuna
02-02-2005, 06:55 AM
I'm starting to get pretty frustrated with Knoppix, all I want to do is install / mount my external firewire hard drive.

I've got a Sony Vaio Notebook with built-in firewire / 1394 and an external 160 gb hard drive. I was able to mount this drive using the USB connection (first partition only?), but because my notebook only supports USB 1.1, I decided to try Firewire. Now I can't get Knoppix to see my drive at all?

I tried the advice on past posts: modprobe ohci1394; modprobe raw1394, did a lsmod to see that the modules were loaded, then tried gscanbus and it spit out alot of error messages and died. I tried to mount the drive with "mkdir mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1", but the drive wasn't mounted. I even tried one suggestion to run the "cdrecord -scanbus", but that did nothing. I downloaded the "rescan scsi" script, and that spit out devide missing errors.

I'd post a screen dump, but I wasn't able to print one. When I installed my printer (an Epson Stylus C42US) everything looks fine, but it won't print. I tried the test print and nothing. No error messages.

What's the deal? Is device support that lousey? I'm getting frustrated.

Paul