PDA

View Full Version : Installing Knoppix3.7 as a second O/S to XP, doesent seem po

stromhu
02-02-2005, 09:25 AM
:?: Canīt install Knoppix 3.7 om my laptop? I have tryed to make diffrent partitions like "primary ext3, logical ext3, logical fat32 etc" but when i use the installcommand "knoppix-installer" it says: "Canīt write to harddrive". And when i try: "IGNORE_CHECK=1 sudo knoppix-installer" i get error msg like: "Formatting of failed. Some messages from mkf.s.ext3: Usage: ext3 etc.....".
I have WinXP SP2 on my first partition and i really need this to be able to dual boot really zoon. Please help me if you know how.

foamrotreturns
02-03-2005, 05:18 AM
Having made 4 successful HDD installs over the last few weeks, I can tell you that the most likely issue is that you're trying to format the drive with qtparted and ext3. I had the same problem that you're having until I tried partitioning the primary partition as ext2. Don't worry - the installer script will format the partition as whatever you want it to. Try that and get back to us.

stromhu
02-03-2005, 09:53 AM
Ok, now i tryed that, everything seemed nice untill it was time to start the install, when the format window apperes the format reaches 54% and then gives the error message: "Formating of failed. Some messages from mkfs.ext3: Usage: mkfs.ext3 [-c:-t:-l filename] [-b blocksize] [-f fragment-size] [-i bytes-per-inode] [-j] [-J journal-options] [-N number-of-inodes] [-m reserved-blocks-percentage] [-o creator-os] [-g"

If you know how to fix this or anoyone hwo knows please help me :)

stromhu
02-03-2005, 09:56 AM
Forgott to say that i am now trying to install knoppix on a primary ext2 partition, the installer finds it but stops as i explained in the text above. A big differense this time was that i could use "knoppix-installer" this time??

foamrotreturns
02-03-2005, 10:25 AM
Forgott to say that i am now trying to install knoppix on a primary ext2 partition, the installer finds it but stops as i explained in the text above. A big differense this time was that i could use "knoppix-installer" this time??
You weren't able to use "knoppix-installer" before?
Have you tried any other filesystems? reiserfs?
You may also want to try using a wipe utility commonly found on rescue discs to wipe that portion of the drive.

stromhu
02-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Exacktly, before i had to use "IGNORE_CHECK=1 sudo knoppix-installer" to get to the same point, i have tryed every filesystem awaileble on PQMAgic 8.05 on that partition. But iīm a real newbi on Linux/Unix and are going to use it in school, thatīs why i am in a hurry. Dont know what you mean by wipe? Do you know any other easy installed and working Knoppix like software i can try? HAve a good download speed so if you got a mirror or more suggestions for getting knoppix in the dam disk i would be amazingly happy

foamrotreturns
02-03-2005, 12:13 PM
Have a look here:
http://www.sysresccd.org/
Some of the best drive management utils on the planet, compiled into one disc.
I have used this utility to rescue many a file over the last year or so. Old laptops crapping out, corrupt filesystems, etc. Very good stuff on this disc.
These apps all run independent of a meaty OS, so you should be able to avoid whatever software issue is preventing you from installing correctly. Once you get your drive all fresh 'n' clean, go back into knoppix-installer and give it another go. It's worth it to get it installed :)

stromhu
02-03-2005, 12:23 PM
Thnx, now downloading the stabile version for x86, as zoon as i got it on cd i vill try...

stromhu
02-03-2005, 12:54 PM
I have done a new partition for knoppix with the software on the cd but i donīt know how to logout again? To reboot the laptop i mean... Iīm a real *ux newbi..

stromhu
02-03-2005, 01:19 PM
No after formating with the software from the LinuxSoftwareCd the same error ("Formating of failed. Some messages from mkfs.ext3: Usage: mkfs.ext3 [-c:-t:-l filename] [-b blocksize] [-f fragment-size] [-i bytes-per-inode] [-j] [-J journal-options] [-N number-of-inodes] [-m reserved-blocks-percentage] [-o creator-os] [-g")

comes at the same place... What to do?

ruymbeke
02-03-2005, 06:22 PM
:?: Canīt install Knoppix 3.7 om my laptop? I have tryed to make diffrent partitions like "primary ext3, logical ext3, logical fat32 etc" but when i use the installcommand "knoppix-installer" it says: "Canīt write to harddrive". And when i try: "IGNORE_CHECK=1 sudo knoppix-installer" i get error msg like: "Formatting of failed. Some messages from mkf.s.ext3: Usage: ext3 etc.....".
I have WinXP SP2 on my first partition and i really need this to be able to dual boot really zoon. Please help me if you know how.
Did you try the poor man install: boot from iso being inside the xp ntfs... Have a look at these:
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Win_Partition
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11796
It works on all my configs, Good luck, Gilles

stromhu
02-04-2005, 03:32 PM
It seemes harder to do it that way? I vill try an just install debian.... Or if i find any other easy installed Linux

ruymbeke
02-04-2005, 06:31 PM
It seemes harder to do it that way? I vill try an just install debian.... Or if i find any other easy installed Linux
Actually it is much easier than it looks like. Just copy a couple of files, one of them being the knoppix iso, edit your boot.ini and reboot...
Gilles

foamrotreturns
02-04-2005, 10:15 PM
try using the utillity "dban" on the disc. It's a hard disk wiper utility. This will erase the ENTIRE hard drive using a multipass technique. It's normally used for erasing sensitive data, but the hdd becomes truly blank after this. No MBR, no partition table, nothin but zeroes. So back up any data you want to keep, because it WILL be gone after using this utility. If you still have the same problem, you're probably looking at a hardware error.
Another thing to look at is a diagnostics floppy from your HDD manufacturer. Western Digital has Data Lifeguard Tools, and each manufacturer has their own. This technique got me out of a bind once. I had written a really nasty bad sector to the hard disk and it would not even load in any 3rd party application, no matter how low-level.

ruymbeke
02-05-2005, 01:40 AM
try using the utillity "dban" on the disc. It's a hard disk wiper utility. This will erase the ENTIRE hard drive using a multipass technique. It's normally used for erasing sensitive data, but the hdd becomes truly blank after this. No MBR, no partition table, nothin but zeroes. So back up any data you want to keep, because it WILL be gone after using this utility. If you still have the same problem, you're probably looking at a hardware error.
Another thing to look at is a diagnostics floppy from your HDD manufacturer. Western Digital has Data Lifeguard Tools, and each manufacturer has their own. This technique got me out of a bind once. I had written a really nasty bad sector to the hard disk and it would not even load in any 3rd party application, no matter how low-level.
The dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda count=1K should erase the partition table, Master boot record, boot sector, ... and is much faster than erase the hole disk. Be careful, this is a very powerful but dangerous command !
Cheers, Gilles

Rouskis
02-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Maybe hd is having bad sectors...

Easy installation Debian-distros: Mepis, Kanotix. Newest Simply-Mepis is really nice.