PDA

View Full Version : Installing Knoppix

GenneX
02-02-2005, 02:19 PM
Hey.

I am recently obtained a copy of Knoppix and would like to install it to my hdd. I have two hdd, one being a NTFS where my copy of Windows is on and a second one which is FAT32. This drive holds all my apps and is the drive I mount when using knoppix.

I am thinking of creating a small partition (about 5gb) on the FAT drive for a linux installation. Creating the partition won't be a problem.

What I do want to know:

How should I go about when installing Knoppix to the hdd.
Will Knoppix create a duel-boot screen between Knoppix and Windows.
What is the chances that I might loose any information on either of my hdd when installing Knoppix.

Please just keep in mind that I am fairly new to the Linux environment and have never installed a *nix based o/s.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

eon
02-04-2005, 11:59 PM
This is where you are told "Back up anything you would not want to lose."
Most installs are pretty straight-forward but do a back up.

As to how to install it depends if you want a debian install or the simpler
knoppix installer. Some people do not recommend using knoppix for a hard drive
install you might want to read more about that I'm re-thinking it myself Just because
something is easy doesn't make it good (for a non-intended purpose) The primary goal
of knoppix is a live cd. A debian install is extremely stable. I wouldn't neccessarily say
that about knoppix. So that's my flame-bait on that. :roll:

As far as the dual boot question; yes knoppix should recognize your windows install
and set grub ( it is grub in recent versions-right?) or lilo up to dual boot.

Chances on losing data-read the first sentence. It is possible even while it's un-likely.