PDA

View Full Version : Confused

samhainbaphomet
02-02-2005, 05:52 PM
Ive been using knoppix for nearly a week now, and it is great. The games and software on here are all brilliant. The only thing I cant work out is where I can find programs I have installed. Is there a knoppix program files folder? I installed mozilla firefox and after closing it I was unable to find it anywhere :?

Also what does tea cooker do :?

Markus
02-02-2005, 06:19 PM
firefox is probably in /usr/bin. You can look for it with which mozilla-firefox or updatedb and then locate firefox.
Executables which you can run without specifying your path are in one of these: echo $PATH
I don't use firefox, just the regular mozilla so I'm not sure about the executables name, but try open a console and do mozilla-firefox

Oh and I have no clue about teacooker :) Probably just some gimmick that's supposed to tell when it's time for tea.

samhainbaphomet
02-02-2005, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the advice, ill try what you said.

The only reason I got firefox was cos I couldnt work out how to install plug ins on mozzilla. I also like being able to open new tabs with my mouse wheel :P

CrashedAgain
02-03-2005, 02:13 AM
Ive been using knoppix for nearly a week now, and it is great.

I saw a signature line once "Proudly using Linux since last Tuesday! " . Seems to fit.

Teacooker is just a toy.

Where to find the programs? Linux actually installs applications in little pieces all over the place. There will be one executeable file, possibly named .bin or .sh, that is the one to start.

First, do a 'start->settings->menu updating tool' try to get the system to add a firefox start item for you. (The menu updating tool is a bit silly, you have to tell it to scan for new apps then add them but since thats all its for why doesn't it auto scan on startup??) It should put the start item under 'internet'.
If it doesn't, do a 'start->find' & search /usr for 'firefox', most probable spot is in /usr/bin. When you find it navigate to it with konqueror & click on it to see if it's the executeable file. If it is firefox should open. You can create a desktop icon for it just rt click on the desktop ->create new->file->link to application.

What problems were you having & with what plugins?

You can also net surf with konqueror (but you already knew that) & konqueror can use mozilla plugins as well. Kmail can do mail too, so Mozilla is just another alternative, not a necessary replacement for outlook/explorer like in the Windows world.

Kowood
02-03-2005, 03:24 AM
Teac cooker lets you stick the tea in, then hit the button on your computer, and it'll tell you when your tea's ready. It's fun. :D :)

Harry Kuhman
02-03-2005, 03:32 AM
Teac cooker lets you stick the tea in, then hit the button on your computer, and it'll tell you when your tea's ready. It's fun. :D :)
Some people's concept of fun is rather simple.

Kowood
02-03-2005, 03:35 AM
Some people's concept of fun is rather simple.

Ever bounce a marble on linoleum and let it fly across your school and chase it and then call it a good omen of love? :D Also, you might want to try talking to leaves.....

pureone
02-03-2005, 05:14 AM
you can get away with just typeing firefox in the konsole. you could do firefox google.com
to open the browser at google.

what is with this magic cookie error? if i stay in konsole for too long then try to open a gui based program i get a cookie error.

samhainbaphomet
02-04-2005, 11:04 AM
Where to find the programs? Linux actually installs applications in little pieces all over the place. There will be one executeable file, possibly named .bin or .sh, that is the one to start.

That may be the problem I was looking for .exe :oops: Thanks for helping, im sure ill be able to find it now.

Teac cooker lets you stick the tea in, then hit the button on your computer, and it'll tell you when your tea's ready. It's fun.

Seems kinda strange, in an amusing way :? I spend ages on chromium, that games great!