PDA

View Full Version : Using Knoppix CD to Boot Kanotix ISO?

Kowood
02-02-2005, 11:26 PM
I asked a friend to burn a Kanotix image to a CD, as I don't have a cd burner or fast internet. He, however, burned it as a data cd instead of one from which to boot. So I copied the ISO onto my hda1 (Windows) drive from Windows. I tried using the bootfrom cheatcode to boot Kanotix from the image on hda1, and it didn't work. So do I have to install the ISO to disk and find some means of booting it? I could do that, but I'd like to look at it before I install it. So yeah. If you can, post methods for either of these. :)

Harry Kuhman
02-03-2005, 12:30 AM
Teach friend how to properly burn ISO files.

Kowood
02-03-2005, 12:38 AM
Can I shove Kanotix on a partition and use Lilo (or some other bootloader) to boot it?

CrashedAgain
02-03-2005, 01:53 AM
I asked a friend to burn a Kanotix image to a CD, as I don't have a cd burner or fast internet. He, however, burned it as a data cd instead of one from which to boot. So I copied the ISO onto my hda1 (Windows) drive from Windows. I tried using the bootfrom cheatcode to boot Kanotix from the image on hda1, and it didn't work. So do I have to install the ISO to disk and find some means of booting it? I could do that, but I'd like to look at it before I install it. So yeah. If you can, post methods for either of these. :)

You might be able to make this work but you will have to make a do-it-yourself poor mans install.

A poormans install has the filesystem from the CD installed into a directory called 'knoppix' on the root dir of the drive. The bootfrom code will be looking for a file /dev/hda1/knoppix/knoppix. Maybe that's all you need to do.

To boot from the HD without the CD you also need the files in the directory 'boot' from the CD copied to a separate directory (called boot or bootlinux or whatever you wish) in the HD root directory then lilo or grub installed to the MBR & configured to boot /mnt/hda1/bootlinux/vmlinuz. This is the lilo setup:

image=/mnt/hda1/bootlinux/vmlinuz

label="Linux"

append="lang=us fromhd=/dev/hda1 home=scan myconfig=scan apm=power-off"

initrd=/mnt/hda1/bootlinux/isolinux/minirt24.gz

read-only

Kowood
02-03-2005, 03:10 AM
Okay, new door has just been opened....Say I can copy the file from the CD onto a computer with a burner. Can I still burn a boot CD? And this computer uses Roxio, can you burn bootCDs with that one?

Harry Kuhman
02-03-2005, 03:18 AM
Okay, new door has just been opened....Say I can copy the file from the CD onto a computer with a burner. Can I still burn a boot CD? And this computer uses Roxio, can you burn bootCDs with that one?
If you friend just burned the ISO file to CD then the ISO file can certainly be read back from the CD. From there it could be burnt like any other ISO. Of course, it is important that the MD5 sum be checked. It should have been checked by your friend before the burn, but that doesn't seem likely. I would suggest that you get the md5 file from one of the mirrors and see if it was a good iso file to begin with (this would have been an important step for any boot-from-iso-on-HD experiments that you did too). This will not require a high speed connection, as the md5 file is very small. Once you confirm that you have a good iso, you have a good iso.

Kowood
02-03-2005, 03:28 AM
erm.......How do I check the md5 in windows? how do I download it? I click the md5 thingy on the download thingy and i get d1323a2ba5a9702b3a38bc851dd01042 *KANOTIX-BUG-HUNTER-X-2004-FIX2.iso in the browser.

Harry Kuhman
02-03-2005, 03:40 AM
erm.......How do I check the md5 in windows? how do I download it? I click the md5 thingy on the download thingy and i get d1323a2ba5a9702b3a38bc851dd01042 *KANOTIX-BUG-HUNTER-X-2004-FIX2.iso in the browser.
The easiest way to download it is just to download an md5 file. But if you have a text string (as you seem to have) that will work too.

You need a program that will generate or check an md5 sum. There are many available, Google will find quite a number for you. I like md5summer which has a website here (http://www.md5summer.org/). If you have an md5 file you can just open it with the md5 program and the program will check the files listed in the md5 file against the files in the directory that it is run from and tell you if you have good files or not. If all you have is a text string then you tell the md5 program to generate an md5 sum for the file that you are interested in (the iso in this cae) and manually (You rememner Manuel, dn't you?) check the resulting MD5 sum against the text string. If the strings match exactly then the files are the same, if they don't then the files are different (and the md5 strings will not likely even be close).

ICPUG
02-03-2005, 08:08 PM
It is possible to do a Poor Man's install for a Kanotix iso (on NTFS) anyway. I have done it. It uses a similar technique to the Knoppix PMI but actually is a little easier because you don't need to amend the kernel and image files with Kanotix.

If Kowood could confirm the Windows is XP then maybe I can explain the steps.

ICPUG

Kowood
02-04-2005, 01:12 AM
The Windows is 98, not XP.

Kowood
02-04-2005, 02:59 AM
How do I go about using md5Summer to check the thingy? Do I just open the md5 file? or do I have to do something with the ISO? The md5 file just opens and says there was 1 error while processing.

Kowood
02-04-2005, 03:52 AM
OK, so I just tried burning the Kanotix image onto a CD-RW from a laptop that I copied the image to. I used the tutorial here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=298 I know it's WIndows XP, but I figured it would be the same. Evidently, it's not. Where did I go wrong? The load segments, sector counts, etc. will probably be the same for Kanotix as they are with Knoppix, seeing as Kanotix is derived from Knoppix. I think. Yeah. From what I've heard Kanotix=Knoppix with a million and 2 drivers and extra programs.

Harry Kuhman
02-04-2005, 07:00 AM
OK, so I just tried burning the Kanotix image onto a CD-RW from a laptop that I copied the image to. I used the tutorial here: http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=298 .....
The thing you gave a link to talks about making your own bootable disk from individual files, what I saw has nothing to do with burning from an ISO.

Did you figure out the answer to your first question, how to check the MD5 sum? Which md5 program are you using? Did you get a file with an md5 extension or are you trying to generate a md5 sum and manually check it against the text string that you had before. No sense in reading any further if you didn't do this.

There has been lots of discussion here about how to burn ISO files, not sure why you would have searched elsewhere for data that might not apply. Are you using EZCD? Do you have other burning software available (I haven't used EZCD since about version 3). If you're stuck with ezcd, look through the menus for an option to burn from an ISO file.

Kowood
02-04-2005, 04:05 PM
I dl'ed md5summer and i've got an md5 file that came from the same mirror as the iso, though I'm not really sure how to use them. EZCD is the only burning software I can get to right now.

Kowood
02-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Heh....Half this thread contradicts the program's name....Easy CD creator? Mon oeil! Maybe easy for burning your shitty mainstream emo wannabe music, but not for ISOs!

Harry Kuhman
02-04-2005, 10:10 PM
I dl'ed md5summer and i've got an md5 file that came from the same mirror as the iso, though I'm not really sure how to use them. EZCD is the only burning software I can get to right now.
MD5summer:
Very simple to use. If you click on an md5 file it will check the checksums against files in the directory it was run from and tell you if they match or not. This association should have been set up when md5summer was first installed. If not you can still do it, just use the verify sums button on the first window and select the md5 file that you want to check. Or in the Windows file explorer highlight the md5 file, hold down the shift key, and right click on the file. A menu will open, but when the shift key is held down in addition to the normal "open" command that shows up in the menu, there will be an open with selection. Pick this. Select md5summer from the list of programs (you may have to use the browse button to find it if windows does not already have it in the list) Before you click OK, there is a check box that says something like "always use this program to open this type of file", click it and this will create the relation between md5 files and md5 summer, in the future you can just click on an md5 file to run md5summer and automatically check it.

To generate your own MD5 files or generate text strings that you can manually check against what you see on a website, just start md5summer. A navagation window will open. Navigate to the directory with the file or files that you want to make md5 sums for. Click on the first button on the bottom, the one marked create sums. The window will magically change into a window that lets you select the files in that directory that you want to make md5 sums for. Highlight the one that you want and click add(or highlight many and click add), click add all to make sums for everything in the directory, or highlight and use the add recursively button to include files in subdirectories too. Once you have the file or files that you want in the list, click OK. Md5summer will build a list of md5 sums and open a window to let you save an md5 file. If you are just checking against a text string that you found on a website then you don't need to save the file, just check the string against what you already have.

There may be some other features that I've missed; I've never bothered to read the documentation. The above came from just playing with the software for less than 30 seconds, something I suspect that you did not do. But that you would want to keep burning CDs when you don't know that the iso file is good striikes me as something I would not want to do.

As to ezcd, see my previous advice, the feature is in there, but is certainly not the thing that you gave a link to. But check the md5 sum first.

amir
02-05-2005, 05:17 PM
I used one of my computers(XP NTFS) and download KNOPPIX, then burned it on a CD, now I want to install to another computer (XP FAT32)30 GB, it is partitioned into two parts C; for Xp and I reserved D: for KNOPPX.I changed the BIOS to boot from CD but in no vain. I also by mistake tried to open it with win zip and later on with ie, now whenever I want to open the file(KNOPPIX_V3.6-2004-08-16-DE) the IE icon is there meaning this .iso file will be opened by IE.Hope sone one could help me,please.
Thank you

Harry Kuhman
02-05-2005, 09:38 PM
.... now I want to install to another computer .....Hope sone one could help me,please.
If you really want help, do not just stick your message onto an existing discussion about something else. Start a new thread, and start it in the correct forum (the hdd install forum would be the right place for questions about hdd install issues). Also, you are using the German version of Knoppix (name ends in DE, not EN for ENglish). You live in Canada. While you certainly could be a native German speaker, consider if you might not want the EN version of Knoppix.

Kowood
02-06-2005, 02:56 AM
I made it work!! It was as easy as selecting the ISO file to burn! I installed Kanotix and now I'm working with the bootloader. :D

Harry Kuhman
02-06-2005, 05:23 AM
I made it work!! It was as easy as selecting the ISO file to burn! I installed Kanotix and now I'm working with the bootloader. :D
Did you ever get md5summer working?

Kowood
02-07-2005, 01:01 AM
Yes, md5summer works. I just made a test file from the ISO and checked it against the md5 i downloaded and they were all shiny and happy and identical. By the way....I can't seem to get LILO to work, and GRUB (came with Kanotix) is turd. How do I make LILO work? And whick flipping file am I supposed to download?

Harry Kuhman
02-07-2005, 01:54 AM
Yes, md5summer works. I just made a test file from the ISO and checked it against the md5 i downloaded and they were all shiny and happy and identical......
Good. It is well worth checking md5s for knoppix and related downloads, I've had a number of bad downloads from the Knoppix mirrors. I've used md5 sums for some other handy things too.

... By the way....I can't seem to get LILO to work, and GRUB (came with Kanotix) is turd. How do I make LILO work? ......
My only use of lilo is to let it install to the Linux partition. That way I don't have to fool around with editing config files or reinstalling it. I use XOSL or Smart Boot Manager on systems that I boot Linux from.

..... And whick flipping file am I supposed to download?
I have no idea what you are talking about.