PDA

View Full Version : help on knoppix

db85
02-03-2005, 07:33 AM
i d/l knoppix 3.7. but my question is, do you burn it onto a cd as an .iso image? or do you just burn it on to a cd and put it in your cd drive? im confused on what it means it runs entirely from the cd cuz i burned it as an iso image onto a cd and it opened in ms word. do i have to burn it as an iso image then reboot so my cd drive boots before my hard drive and then proceed to install?

Harry Kuhman
02-03-2005, 08:10 AM
i d/l knoppix 3.7. but my question is, do you burn it onto a cd as an .iso image? or do you just burn it on to a cd and put it in your cd drive? im confused on what it means it runs entirely from the cd cuz i burned it as an iso image onto a cd and it opened in ms word. do i have to burn it as an iso image then reboot so my cd drive boots before my hard drive and then proceed to install?
You do not just burn the iso as one file onto the CD. You "burn it as an image". What burning software do you have (and if Nero, what version and what type (Nero Express, Nero Smart Srart, Nero Ultra,...). Did you look at the Downloading FAQ in the documentation section?

db85
02-03-2005, 08:17 AM
i use cdburner xp pro 3. i can burn it as an image. i just want to use knoppix, i really dont know what distro to use, i want something with a lot of features and easy to install, ive tried slackware linux, that failed. i tried suse personal, i didnt like it. i dont have enough cd's to burn to use fedora or mandrake... but i need/have just one for knoppix, right? so you burn it as an iso image, then do you just boot the cd rom first at startup then install knoppix?

Harry Kuhman
02-03-2005, 08:29 AM
i use cdburner xp pro 3. i can burn it as an image. i,,,,,but i need/have just one for knoppix, right? so you burn it as an iso image, then do you just boot the cd rom first at startup then install knoppix?I have no experience with the software you use. If it has a feature to open an iso and burn that, then that is likely what you want. Nero has a feature labeled CD-ROM (ISO) and a lot of people mistakenly use that - it is not what you want. These people drag their ISO into the Nero ISO window and end up burning the ISO as one big file onto the CD (any file that will fit can obviously be burnt to CD this way, but that will not let it boot). Also a lot of Nero users use features built into Nero to make the CD "bootable"; again an error. The proper technique with Nero 5 is use the "open Image" feature, open the iso, and burn the file system that it contains to CD. If you know your software well enough to be confortable that it's not going to just burn one big file onto the CD, then you likely have the right feature, otherwise read your documentation. Or, better yet, use a 700 meg CDRW.

A few other thoughts: Did you check the md5 sum? I sure would if I were low on CD's, as about half the downloads I've got from the mirrors were bad. And when you do burn, burn at a safe and slow speed like 4x. Lots of people have complained that their CD's would not boot, only to post back later that a new CD would boot when burned from the same ISO when they burned it at 4x.

Harry Kuhman
02-03-2005, 08:33 AM
..... i want something with a lot of features and easy to install,.....
Some people indeed install Knoppix, but from the number of posts in the hdd install forum, I do not think it is "easy to install". Knoppix was always intended as a Live CD, to boot and run from the CD drive. The install options are an after thought , and are far from perfect.

db85
02-03-2005, 08:56 AM
my burning software has a... Write Disc From ISO button.

Harry Kuhman
02-03-2005, 09:16 AM
my burning software has a... Write Disc From ISO button.
Sounds like a good choice. My advice on checking the md5 sum first and burning at a slow speed still stands.

db85
02-03-2005, 09:27 AM
ok so i burn it as an iso image (done) now i just reboot with the cdrom booting first, right? then just install.