PDA

View Full Version : Usb Compact flash problems

Randy
02-03-2005, 06:44 PM
Guys,
Knoppix recognized my usb connected compact flash card ( 64 meg ) I was transferring files to it, and it just seized up after about 10 meg transferred. I reformatted the flash in win98, the flash will only transfer over 8 meg, and then the flash seizes up in Knop AND in win 98, ONLY permitting about 8 meg to be transferred for both operating systems
what happened? I thought it was the card, I got a new one sent to me and the same damn thing happened again to the new card, and windoze has a hard time reformatting the flash AND scan disking the flash, win 98 seizes up after scanning only 8000 or so blocks/sectors-whatever
Basically I have a flash card that is 64 meg but will only allow 8 meg transferred
Help
Randy

stukennedyuk
02-03-2005, 07:44 PM
Tell me about it, heads/sectors and partitions! - I find that my cheap digital camera formats compact flash cards correctly and (believe it or not) this is what I tend to use. In a shell you could try:-

fdisk /dev/sda (or maybe try cfdisk? - you do know what the 'f' in 'fdisk' stands for.....?) then:-
mkdosfs /dev/sda1

Funny that W98 doesn't do it correctly, don't you think?

Stoo.....

Randy
02-03-2005, 09:48 PM
heyyyyy...yea, use the digital camara to format it, i'll try it, and see if I recover 64 meg capacity