PDA

View Full Version : problems with Knoppix recognizing new fresh nothing-on-it hd

Randy
02-03-2005, 07:10 PM
I made a image of my stuff on to DVD using knoppix dvd burn, I bought a brand spanking new hd (80 meg ) at a computer show, I want to use knoppix to dump all the info on the DVD on to the new HD, On com cable 1 I have ONLY the new hd connected on the end of cable, no slave, with jumper set to master ( other com cable has dvdrom reading knoppix with a dvd writer as slave....they are recognized, no problem there) Knoppix doesnt recognize, I think, the hd... the boot up sequence mentions enabling DMA for a "Hda" thinking it IS recognizint the HD ( the bios I think is recognizing the new hd, cuz it mentions sectors and stuff like that ) when I open this hda in konquerer and when I try to transfer files off DVD writer to new hd ( hda ) I get a flag saying " access denied"
how can I for sure know knop IS recognizing the new hd, how can I get the capability to transfer files, knop should say hd size right?? IT doesn't say nothing
please help
Randy

stukennedyuk
02-03-2005, 07:36 PM
Two things:-

1). A brand new drive may be unformatted and with no partition table, you need to use a tool like QTparted or similar to make a partition and then format that partition.

2). Knoppix boot from CD does not mount drives as read-write - only read only, this is to help inexperienced users from destroying stuff, or attempting to write to NTFS partitions (a define no-go)

If it's just the latter, you can remount a drive using:-

mount -o remount,rw /dev/hdax

- Hope this helps a bit.

I'm a noob, so hopefully others will reply and help (or correct me if I'm wrong!)

Stoo.....