PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix 3.7 install problem

tzontzo
02-04-2005, 08:11 AM
Hi,

I have 40gb hdd with 6gb windows xp primary partition and 10 gb windows extended partition, both are ntfs.

I have launched the knoppix 3.7 from my cdrom with the ideea to install it on my hdd, using standard "install knoppix on hdd" gui from kde menu.

A message has appear and inform me that the hdd are not yet prepare to support this installation, and another message that recomand me to use a hdd partition application.So far, so good.

Using this application i create one 4gb ext3 partition, and a message has appear:

"No implementation: This ext2 filesystem has a rather strange layout ! Parted can't resize this (yet)"

I have tryed also with Partition magic, latest version, and i recive the same message.

I have tryed with the vmware image and the problem persist. :(

What should I do forward ? Please advice me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS.

My level on linus system is medium.

Thank you.

foamrotreturns
02-04-2005, 10:06 PM
Pretty common issue - i actually addressed this in another thread, but here it is anyway:
If you partition the hard drive from qtparted as ext3, this freeze will happen. I believe it's an error within qtparted. You have to partition it as ext2. You can then format the partition using ext3 in the installation script without any problems.

tzontzo
02-07-2005, 07:30 AM
Ok, thank you, and ....if the problem it is solved into another issue, fine with me. give me the link to see the solution..But anyway, what you say it is almost correct..I formated the target instalation knoppix partition as ext2 as well but I recive the same error...so...what can it be ?

I will do next thing: using partition magic, define primary linux partition ext2 and the swap also, and then i will try to see what is happened...if the problem persist back to your pretios help again ;)

foamrotreturns
02-07-2005, 09:52 PM
I would suggest a whole disk wipe to rid you of what appears to be a permanently corrupted partition, but it sounds like you've got a windows partition that you'd like to keep.
Linux gurus, what's that command that writes zeroes to a particular partition... it starts with dd?

tzontzo
02-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Hi,

Using partition magic 8 and defining one partition ext2 and swap has been a success.I was able to install the knoppix without any problems on my hdd, so in this moment from my point of view the problem it is solved.

I think that procedure will work for any linux distribution based on knoppix kernel.

Regards.