PDA

View Full Version : KNOPPIX-booting problem

GeForce
04-04-2003, 01:30 PM
Hi...
I downloaded KNOPPIX yesterday and now i wantet to use it but it do not boot when i restart my pc. I changed the first boot device to CD-ROM but it boots WinXP.

When there are misstakes in my text: I come from Germany / I am german...

rickenbacherus
04-04-2003, 04:17 PM
Assuming you checked the md5 sum for your downloaded .iso it is my estimation that you have burned the file to disk instead of burning the image. You can't just select "make a bootable cd" and then point it to your image. You must specify that you want to burn an image. What software are you using? If it is NERO then start Nero, close the wizard, click file>burn image and then just browse to your .iso. That will get you a bootable image. Post back if you need further assistance.

Dave_Bechtel
04-04-2003, 08:52 PM
--God, do I ever hate Nero. I replaced my parents' crappy (20x?) cdrom with an old Sony 8x4x32 burner I had lying around. Installing Nero CRASHED THE SYSTEM where it would never get to Win98 GUI - instead, it would spontaneously reboot! Had to restore Windows dir from a September backup.

--I told them, Forget Nero. Go buy Adaptec EZCD creator or something.

--I haven't burned anything using Wincrap software in God knows how long... I use cdrecord and a bunch of scripts I wrote in Linux for everything.

Assuming you checked the md5 sum for your downloaded .iso it is my estimation that you have burned the file to disk instead of burning the image. You can't just select "make a bootable cd" and then point it to your image. You must specify that you want to burn an image. What software are you using? If it is NERO then start Nero, close the wizard, click file>burn image and then just browse to your .iso. That will get you a bootable image. Post back if you need further assistance.

rickenbacherus
04-04-2003, 11:14 PM
--God, do I ever hate Nero.

I agree, it just seems to be one of the more popular windowares around and I happen to knnow exactly how you burn an .iso in Nero. Adaptec is similar I recall but I couldn't tell you from memory how to use it. I used Adaptec a few times- it worked, personally I like the command line the best. It seems worthwhile to learn the 'nuts & bolts' so to speak. Slowly but surely I use the gui less and less.

GeForce
04-05-2003, 10:00 AM
Now it is all right. Nero and .iso isnīt so good. I extract the .iso and than i burned it on cd and now it boots from cd... KNOPPIX is cool. The Games are the best *lol* Buggy ruleZ.

IoN_PuLse
04-05-2003, 10:12 AM
I don't see why anyone should bash Nero, for a while it's interface was for advanced users however now they have Nero Express (which ANY past user of Nero 5 and above) can update to and that is a super-easy interface.

Nero didn't break when XP came out, Adaptec did, leaving customers with older versions of adaptec "easy cd creator" that came with their burners out to dry if they upgraded to XP.

Nero is a far more superior product.

I haven't played with k3b yet but I bet it's pretty darn good too :D

rickenbacherus
04-05-2003, 02:15 PM
I haven't played with k3b yet but I bet it's pretty darn good too :D

I haven't used it too much. It did burn an .iso no problem for me but freaked out when I asked it to copy an uncopyrighted data disk.

Yakumo
04-06-2003, 04:35 PM
--God, do I ever hate Nero. I replaced my parents' crappy (20x?) cdrom with an old Sony 8x4x32 burner I had lying around. Installing Nero CRASHED THE SYSTEM where it would never get to Win98 GUI - instead, it would spontaneously reboot! Had to restore Windows dir from a September backup.

--I haven't burned anything using Wincrap software in God knows how long... I use cdrecord and a bunch of scripts I wrote in Linux for everything.

[/quote]

hahaha, u msut have really shafted up something and been using a very old version of nero.

and LOL you recomended easyCD ? LOL, that's been known to total even NT/2k/XP systems COMPLETELY

Dave_Bechtel
04-06-2003, 11:25 PM
--FYI, it was Nero 5 that came with my CD duplicator. Note that I recommended Adaptec for my *parents* -- I use Linux pretty much 100% for burning my own CD's.

--And I haven't heard anything directly about Adaptec trashing systems. (shrug) But again, I haven't had to use Adaptec for years myself, either.

hahaha, u msut have really shafted up something and been using a very old version of nero.

and LOL you recomended easyCD ? LOL, that's been known to total even NT/2k/XP systems COMPLETELY[/quote]

Mij
04-16-2003, 09:31 PM
I 've got he same problem. I downloaded the knoppix ISO V3.2-2003-04-10.
Burned the ISO with Nero. (file>burn image etc)
BIOS settings are good. First boot from CD.

But when I reboot, no Knoppix but Win XP start-up.
Do somebody know what is wrong and help me?

(In Windows, I can't read the burned CD. But, that's normal I think?)

Thanks,

Mij

rickenbacherus
04-16-2003, 10:40 PM
Mij-

Did you check the md5 sum before burning? You may have gotten an incomplete image.

VeeDubb
04-17-2003, 02:59 AM

I'm realy surprized to hear all that. I've never had the slightest troble with NERO, and I've never encountered anything but problems with any product released by Roxio. Even on the PC's in the Computer lab on the local college campus, EZDC is a hunk of junk that never works and trying to burn an iso with it cause a system crash.

bluejay
04-18-2003, 03:21 PM
To work around this problem, create a boot floppy using the mkfloppy.bat file in the Knoppix directory on the cd. Insert a blank, formatted floppy in your A drive and run the bat file. Then boot using the floppy, leaving the cd in its drive. If you want English, edit the syslinux.cfg file that will be created on the floppy and change lang=de to lang=us in the first place that it appears in the file.