PDA

View Full Version : HELP!! I think Knoppix murdered my computer!!

ssinai
02-05-2005, 11:31 AM
I have a Knoppix 3.7 CD-ROM, which runs ok, although slowly, on my Win 98 notebook. I just bought a new notebook with XP Home, and thought I'd see how Knoppix works on it. It started going through all the boot-up messages, but eventually it died. I have a wide-screen, and noticed the problem occurred when it was listing out some screen resolutions. None of them matched my 1200x800. Anyway, the computer is totally stuck. The CD stopped spinning, and it's still in the machine. I can't get it out or shut off the computer. The screen echoes back my keystrokes, but that's about it. It doesn't respond to anything else.

Is there any kind of magic keystroke or something I can use to bring my machine back to life. I'm wondering if I'm going to have to pry the CD out with a screwdriver!!

Thanks,
Steve

OErjan
02-05-2005, 04:23 PM
no. just remove powerplug and battery.
then you carefully use (push straight in) a straightened paperclip in the little round hole (1mm 1/32") .
this will release the catch and let you remove the cd.
try booting with vga=normal (No-framebuffer mode, but X).
this should normally give you X,it might look somewhat (extremly) weird.
read more here on "cheatcodes"
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Cheat_Codes

ssinai
02-05-2005, 08:25 PM
Removing the powerplug and battery were exactly what I was too chicken to do, but I did it. When I plugged the the cord back into the computer and turned it on, I quickly hit the CD eject button, and the CD tray opened up. What a relief! Once I get my nerve back, I'll try the suggestion about the vga setting. Thanks.