PDA

View Full Version : 3.1 to 3.2, burn problems, update

fina
04-04-2003, 02:35 PM
Hi :D

I have Knoppix 3.1 from c't on my harddisk, and I have done a apt-get update. Afterwards i got the message: 476 packages not updated. Whats wrong?

How can I persuade xcdroast to burn a cd? Do I have to be root? (NEC DVD and Plextor 12/10/32A IDE).

I have downloaded the english version of Knoppix 3.2. Can I do an update, ord should I erase hda5, where I have the c't 3.1, first?

Best regards
Finn Arne Hansen

RockMumbles
04-04-2003, 03:24 PM
I have done a apt-get update. Afterwards I got the message: 476 packages not updated. Whats wrong?

you probably did this:

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade

which will upgrade packages on your system that do not have library or other major dependency changes.

what do you get for an output if you: (for now just look at the output and answer "n" to upgrade question)

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

Note: the dist-upgrade will have problems because of KDE files being in different places or in multiple packages, so you will have to manually deal with about 6 to 8 kde packages if you do the dist-upgrade. Check out this thread before you decide to upgrade your system:
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6423#6423

the only way to upgrade 3.1 to 3.2 would be to back up your settings in /etc and backup your /home and then manually copy files from a running 3.2 system to your 3.1 hd install and then be willing to fix any problems manually.

HTH

rock

rickenbacherus
04-05-2003, 07:16 PM
How can I persuade xcdroast to burn a cd? Do I have to be root? (NEC DVD and Plextor 12/10/32A IDE).
Best regards
Finn Arne Hansen

I believe you'd do better to have only one subject per post.

If you're installing 3.2 I don't believe it has xcdroast-you could of course install it. 3.2 does however have k3b. While I have made both of those programs function I couldn't recommend them. If you're going to take the time & trouble to learn, configure and setup cd burning software why not put that same effort into learning to use cdrecord, cdparanoia, and mkisofs from the command line? They really aren't that hard to use and once you learn them you've got it. Afterall whether you use k3b, xcdroast, gcombust or what have you they are only frontends for the afore mentioned programs right?