PDA

View Full Version : Knoppix or Mepis

Xword
02-05-2005, 03:14 PM
I am new to linux and had read many reviews/mag/news/articles/website/forum to get as much info as I can.

Many claims that Mepis is better than Knoppix etc... but I seems to prefer Knoppix after a few days of trying.

One thing that I feel Mepis is "better" is that it has an install option that allows simple installation. Any idea why Knoppix does not have this feature?

From this forum, seems like many wanted to install but having problems and this feature should be able to help a lot of people.

Just a suggestion :-)

eon
02-07-2005, 08:51 PM
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16880

How much simpler could it be?

Having said that mepis is designed for installation.
But if you can create a partition or learn how, and your
hardware is recognized you should be able to install
knoppix in about 15 minutes.

foamrotreturns
02-07-2005, 09:37 PM
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16880

How much simpler could it be?

Having said that mepis is designed for installation.
But if you can create a partition or learn how, and your
hardware is recognized you should be able to install
knoppix in about 15 minutes.
Well said! The partitioning part is about the hardest thing in the knoppix install. But learning the ins and outs of HDD partitioning is essential to linux anyway, and if you can't partition a HDD, you probably have no business installing Linux on your HDD in the first place. ;)

markb
02-08-2005, 12:03 AM
I've played with Knoppix, Kanotix, and Mepis a lot. Knoppix is tailored as a live CD. I really think that if you want to install to disk then you are better off using Mepis or Kanotix because they are tailored for that. In particular, once you install to disk then you will frequently want to apt-get update etc. Mepis and Kanotix are much more amenable to updating from the Debian repositories and will not break as easily as Knoppix.

Xword
02-08-2005, 01:03 AM
I agree with markb. The only reason is if Knoppix is tailored as a live CD, then do not provide this feature, which is what it is doing now.

BUT, I am looking at it as an enhancement ( a choice ) that would get new comers another option.

Most of us had done partitioning so many times that we do not give it a second thought.

That doesn't mean that all users is so lucky. Imagine you have one and only one computer for your entire family and you are new. Suspect many new users are reluctant to take that bet :wink:

Suspect that most people will eventually wants Linux in their PC and most will be "force" to use another distro. Anyway, as I have said earlier, it's just a suggestion.

Linux is about choices and if Knoppix is about LiveCD, then keep it that way. :D

foamrotreturns
02-08-2005, 03:30 AM
Knoppix is about choices too! That's why you have the option to run from HDD or install from CD. Personally, I can't get my hardware to work under any other distro, because Knoppix's hardware detection script is so superior. Trust me. I have tried installing Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora Core 3, and a few others, and have never been met with success. Knoppix is the only distro that will install to the HDD on my machine, and I am glad that it does, otherwise I would never be able to customize it with cool add-ons like superkaramba and KDE themes.
/me is addicted to eye candy :P

eon
02-08-2005, 05:04 PM
Yea the hard drive install option can cause problems
but I can't agree with not having it. Open source has
been about choice and choice can get you in trouble sometimes.

Xword
02-09-2005, 04:06 AM
Yes, I totally agree with you.

Knoppix hardware detection is superior than most other , that is why an easy hardware install can help many others (especially newbies) and at the same time take Knoppix to new heights. :-)