PDA

View Full Version : nxclient annoyances!!!

A. Jorge Garcia
02-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Anyone out there using nxclient/nxserver? I have it on my LAN for my students and its woking nicely.

However, I find 2 things a bit annoying:

(1) Whenever one of my users logs-in to the nxserver, nx spawns a TON of processes. If my user then does not terminate the nxclient properly, those processes are orphaned and left to run all day unless I reboot the machine (or go thru all the processes and kill each one, one at a time, in a root shell...)! Is there a way to avoid this? Barring that is there an easier way to kill lots of proceses without rebooting? What is the proper way to terminate an nxclient anyway?

(2) On the client side, whenever a new user starts up an nxclient, not only is the last user's userid listed, but the password is there (though masked) too so anyone can log-in to the previous user's account. You see, my students log-in to a knoppix-installed PC with a generic userid/passwd. Then they either ssh to the server where they log-in to their own accounts or nx over. They've used ssh forever and it works great. I thought that having a complete desktop - not just a shell to run konqueror et al - would be better, so we started to use nx. Now security is an issue in this kind of set-up! I haven't found a setting to tell nxclient not to store this information. Is there such an option?

Please help!

TIA,
AJG
http://calcpage.tripod.com

ockham23
02-06-2005, 11:12 AM
Hello,

as to the first question: Instead of just terminating the NX client, maybe it helps to click on <K-menu><Logout> to end the remote session in a regular manner.

Second question: Saving of the password can be disabled by unchecking "Remember my password" (NX client: <Configure><General><Server>).

Good luck!

A. Jorge Garcia
02-06-2005, 02:51 PM
Thanx, ockham23, I don't know how I could have missed the "remember password" check box! I really could not find it for my life. I looked and looked too in <nxclient><configure> too....

OK, I can't nx from home for some reason, so I'll have to try your second suggestion when I get back to work tomorrow. Could it be that simple?

Thanx,
AJG

ockham23
02-14-2005, 08:26 PM
It's the simple things that work.

A. Jorge Garcia
02-14-2005, 11:21 PM
Yes, KISS is my motto! Anyway, I can nx to my sever at work from anywhere on campus and from home. For some reason I can't nx from any school computer to my home office. I can ssh back and forth, however....

Regards,
AJG