PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Bug?

beetm
02-06-2005, 03:35 PM
I'm a complete noob who wanted to take a look at Linux through the Knoppix CD, but there's an issue with screen resolution that is killing my enthusiasm fast. (and no doubt, others in a similar situation).

It's reasonably well known, if you google, it comes up a couple of times here and other places too.. To cut along story short, if it doesn't recognize your graphics card (onboard) it defaults to a resolution which the cheat codes can't defeat.

Is this a known bug? (By the developer). Will it be fixed?

eon
02-06-2005, 04:07 PM
If you provide your hardware details, including video card maybe someone here
will have a "fix" so that you can get knoppix running correctly and check it out.
(also the error or boot messages you get while booting knoppix would be useful too.)

You could also try kanotix http://kanotix.com/files/kanotix/ which may have
better hardware recognition.

beetm
02-06-2005, 11:01 PM
OK, I've got a Dell P4 3GHZ HT, 1GB DDR, Intel "onboard" graphics (not a gaming machine), Dell's 17" standard Monitor.

When booting from CD the only option is 640x480, using "Cheats" (screen=1024x768) the screen resolves to the requested res, then reverts back after reading the card as vesa during the boot process. Can't edit the files (cfg?) on the CD.

If you read the forums here (and at Kanotix) you'll see that this problem (or very close variants) is pretty common, I was just asking if a fix was in the works or not. (It doesn't recognize many cards, especially "onboard" cards) It's no big deal other than giving a poor first impression for noobs like me trying Linux for the first time

eon
02-07-2005, 05:44 AM
Using the cheat codes gives you a chance to use many types of video.
Check them out if knoppix interests you.

At boot try "knoppix xserver=XFree86|XF86_SVGA"
There are many more codes you could try.

quote (It doesn't recognize many cards, especially "onboard" cards)

Actually knoppix recognizes an enormous amount of hardware.
Did you know that knoppix gets downloaded over 1,000 times a day?

Hardware makers don't exactly provide linux developers with board specs.
This is the wild and wooly world of freeware.

beetm
02-07-2005, 05:30 PM
I appreciate your efforts I really do, but like I said any cheats always end up reverting to 640x480. (As did this one)

1000 downloads a day is very impressive, but think about it, I'm one of those. How many end up deciding, (like me) that Linux is just not for them? What are the stats on folk sticking with it? Last time I checked Linux' total web usage was somewhere around 3%.

A shame really, as I feel that there is a market right now for a user friendly alternative OS (Emphasis on user friendly). But that isn't one where screen res is restricted by default, or that needs cheats to enable it to be useful, and clearly it's not just an isolated problem.

I don't mean for this to come across as an anti-Linux rant, I guess I got lured in by sites (Linux Newbie Aministrator guide) telling me that all the rumors about linux were untrue, and I wanted to see for myself. Well I did.

Thanks for your time again.

eon
02-07-2005, 08:26 PM
No problem about the time. I got alot of help when I started with linux 5-6 years ago.

You might want to check out this thread: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16908&highlight=
and see if markus' cheat code can work for you

Hardware compatibility is a problem because M$ has tremendous influence with hardware
developers. Think about the market share. How can things change if people won't risk
a little discomfort? (this does get to be about more than software as most human
activities do)

There are distros that will recognize your hardware. Knoppix is great at what it does
but there are other ways to try linux. Do a search for gnoppix or maybe the suse live cd.
Also mandrake, mepis, or if you want to really check all the distros go to www.distrowatch.com

Good luck in your explorations. And I realize that not all of the 1000+ downloads become
useable systems. It is however making a statement about the general satisfaction level with M$.

rja
02-10-2005, 08:35 PM
The first thing to do is check if Dell has a BIOS upgrade. Our Dell SX270's needed a BIOS upgrade before the onboard intel graphics would work properly. Keep in mind that they are not VESA compliant, so don't expect anything fancy in text mode. Then use the BIOS to increase the memory for the graphics from the default 1MB to 8MB (or whatever your BIOS allows). You should be able to get at least 1024x768.

CrashedAgain
02-11-2005, 04:44 AM
I have had problems with knoppix not properly recognizing my older i810 video card, it takes fits every time I apt-get upgrade (it is a HD install). But, the fix is to watch what video card it says it is going to use as the startup script goes by, then edit /etc/X11/XF86config-4, there is a section near the end of the script which sets the video card. It will be 'vesa' if that is what X ended up using, change it to whatever the startup script intended to use. Then log out end session only which will restart the X server.
Running from CD you will have to do this each boot (if it works).
Also, I think this is a Knoppix bug (oops...feature) I have not had the problem with kanotix. Try kano, it does seem to be more solid than knoppix.
And you are right about linux and hardware recognition. The problem is that HW mfgrs are not inclined to make linux drivers so all the drivers have to be developed by hackers independent of manufacturer support. Considering that, they have done a fantastic job although there are some areas (webcams & odd stuff like videotape->usb input adapters) where support is almost non-existent.
There are also rumors about microsoft actively discouraging manufacturers from providing linux support but they wouldn't do that would they?
Linux doesn't really help themselves either, the kernel developers have resisted putting in a 'driver socket' so that manufacturers could link in proprietary drivers because the drivers would be closed source and there is also the 'they are not supporting linux, why should linux bend for them' attitude.

Kencaz
02-11-2005, 09:47 AM
Try running "kxconfig" from the Terminal.

kd

Kencaz
02-11-2005, 09:49 AM
Try running "kxconfig" from the Terminal.

kd

Kencaz
02-11-2005, 10:48 AM
Forgot you have to be in 'root' try: $ sudo kxconfig

kc