PDA

View Full Version : Persistant Config problems

turk30213
02-07-2005, 01:51 AM
Hey guys,
okay. I have been beating my brains out for the last 3 days trying to get my wireless card working. When I boot it up, it detects it and clearly identifies it (SMC EliteConnect 802.11b SMC2532W-B) but says that it is "unsupported". I know that it has the Prism 2.5 chipset on it and I'm trying to get the prism2_cs to bind with it. My question:

I have a USB pen drive that I created a persistant config file on but when I load from it (knoppix myconfig=scan), it still will not allow me to edit it so that I can save the changes. Is there anything I am doing wrong? I really appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

-Turk30213

Cuddles
02-07-2005, 04:13 PM
You say you edit something, and it wont allow you to save the changes...

Could this file be the /etc/modules file ? if so, changes made in this file will not "stick", and will be overwrote by another file, each time you reboot...

If you need to change the "modules" file, you should change the /etc/modules-(uname -r) file instead. During a boot, you can see that the boot will report Found hardware configuration in (some file) -=- where (some file) is this /etc/modules-(uname -r) file...

as an example: ( for my install )

root@morpheus:~#
root@morpheus:~# uname -r
2.6.10-kanotix-1
root@morpheus:~# ls -la /etc/modules*
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 800 Feb 6 11:25 /etc/modules
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 800 Jan 3 10:29 /etc/modules-2.6
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Jan 3 10:29 /etc/modules-2.6.10-kanotix-1 -> modules-2.6
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 825 Dec 29 21:53 /etc/modules-2.6.8.1-kanotix-10
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7976 Jan 5 12:52 /etc/modules.conf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8113 Jan 5 12:52 /etc/modules.conf.old
root@morpheus:~#

as you can see, from my install, the output of my "uname -r" command, reports that I am using "2.6.10-kanotix-1", and then the output of all my "modules" files found under /etc - that the correct "modules" file to change, would then be "/etc/modules-2.6.10-kanotix-1" -=- If I want to make any changes to the modules that are booted each time, changing the "modules" file will only be replaced by this "other" modules" file each time... So, I should change the "modules-2.6.10-kanotix-1" file instead...

If you are trying to make changes to this "modules" file, then, you will not be able to "keep" the changes you are making, unless you change the correct file, for your installation...

If this is not the file that you are trying to save, and change, then please post what file you are having problems with saving your configs with, and a little more information on "what", "why", etc... So that people can assist more on your issue...

Hopefully, this helps,
Ms. Cuddles